Can someone explain to me who owns the Dstar reflectors?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AB7RU, Jun 4, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AB7RU

AB7RU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As the title states. I am interested in arranging skeds with hams on Dstar but don't want to tie up the more commonly used reflectors, REF030C, REF001C, etc. Can I just pick a random REF and monitor it for a while to see if it ever shows any activity, and if not, use that to arrange a sked?
    Thanks for any thoughts on this, I like Dstar but would like to have relaxed conversations with other hams on quieter channels.

2. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Reflectors are there for you to use. All reflector owners are aware that putting a reflector on the network means that anyone can use it. Most owners of D-star reflectors and repeaters (myself included) are just happy to have traffic.

Just be mindful that you may be asked to relinquish a reflector for its intended purpose at some point.

You guys are welcome to hotspot or gateway into our system (WD4EOG) and use it as a reflector if you wish. We'll be happy to have the air traffic.

WB5THT, AB7RU and W4NNF like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The reflectors are usually owned by the same people who own the local D-Star repeater(s).

Which should you choose for a good ragchew? 30C has a lot of activity, but there are times of the day when it is clear with little happening.

But otherwise, have a look at the list, pick one, and monitor it for a little while. 4C is often a good choice or was when I was using it some time ago. :)

AB7RU likes this.
  4. AB7RU

Thanks W2JKT for that, I will check out your system there!
    Can you explain what you meant here where you said, "You guys are welcome to hotspot or gateway into our system (WD4EOG) and use it as a reflector if you wish."
    Do you mean I can go through Dstar using my hotspot to connect to that repeater which appears to be a Clemson club station system?
    Or... is there a reflector that is connected to that on-air repeater in Clemson? I found a FB page on WD4EOG that mentions that "sometimes" the repeater is connected to 54/61C.

And thank you W4NNF, I do enjoy 30c but mostly only monitor. I will look at 4C too!

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FB. Hope to work you on 30C one of these days. :)

AB7RU likes this.
  6. W2JKT

Yes, if you have a hotspot, you can connect to a repeater system in the same way you connect to a reflector. So you'd just set it to connect to WD4EOG.

A reflector is just a D-Star repeater instance with no actual radios attached, and each of the radio slots is used for a distinct "channel." If there is an actual repeater, each of the "channels" (A,B,C,D,E) correspond to an RF deck. For example, our only RF deck is on 70cm, so is "channel" B.

Our repeater can also connect to reflectors just like hotspots can. So, if you're connected to our repeater with a hotspot, and our repeater connects to REF030C, you'd also be connected to 030C.

AB7RU likes this.
  7. AB7RU

Yes, if you have a hotspot, you can connect to a repeater system in the same way you connect to a reflector. So you'd just set it to connect to WD4EOG."

W2JKT,
    This is the one area of Dstar that has remained a mystery to me is how to program in a connection to repeater over my hotspot. Reflectors I have no problem with linking to, but distant repeaters I haven't been able to figure out how. I am using Pi-star with a uhf DVAP and th-d74. The manual seems to indicate you would use a Gateway Call to another repeater, and I tried that to gateway connect to WD4EOG but my radio just informs me "not linked."
    Any tips you can offer or a link online that shows exactly how to do that would be wonderful.

8. W2JKT

I think this is how it works, but I've never actually done it so let me know if this works:

If your D74 is set up properly, RPT1 and RPT2 are both set to DVAP, and then URCALL gets the command to link, or CQCQCQ.

You would tell your DVAP to link to WD4EOG gateway by using "WD4EOGGL" in the URCALL. Or, if you only wanted to talk on our local RF deck, you would use "WD4EOGBL" in URCALL. After you get a link confirmation from your DVAP, you change your URCALL to CQCQCQ.

AB7RU likes this.
  9. AB7RU

Hey that worked once, and I was able to get linked to WD4EOG as gateway (URCALL: WD4EOGGL).

But I wasn't sure how to "use" the gateway at that point. And now when I just tried to link again to WD4EOGGL it isn't linking. Says "not linked" with WD4EOGGL as urcall, so I don't know what is going on. I thought maybe I have to send an unlink command? Not sure... It worked once though so some progress is good progress.

Okay well I think I can link and unlink okay to these but am still a little unclear if my signal is being heard over there. I tried Direct Input: CQCQCQ after linking and through my call out for a signal rpt and no response. So not sure if it was actually being heard. Maybe no one was around, or I am doing something wrong, or all three! At least I know I can link this way. The KW does store the URCALL commands as "Call History" so that makes it easier to send those.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  10. W2JKT

After you link your DVAP to the gateway you change "URCALL" in the D74 to "CQCQCQ" while continuing to use "DVAP" for RPT1 and RPT2. Your DVAP should be linked at that point and show up in the list of remote users on the control panel:

https://dstar.clemson.edu says you were heard :)