can someone decode this cw id for me?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD0KKV, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N5MDT

N5MDT Ham Member QRZ Page

You heard it on BOTH the input and output freqs?

2. KD0KKV

KD0KKV Ham Member QRZ Page

No. 12345678910

3. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Another abuser of dead equines...good grief. While this may be your "honest opinion" and while I believe your opinion has merit for a long time amateur who has reached the Extra class ranks, remember what has been said about opinions being like anuses, everyone has one, and they all stink!

4. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

HTW, voice ID is just more practical. Day to day users you have to pause to let the ID through and most people do with CW anyway so being able to hear the ID that helps and on the rare times with 2M opens up everyone listening can understand were the other repeater is coming from.

Hamlaw let it be!

5. KD0KKV

My question has been answered. Thanks for all the great info, and please stop feeding the troll.

6. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

OK, I can take my licks like a man.

Perhaps I did get a bit sensitive and over-react. However, since Morse Code is one of the modes used ( yes, even today ! ) in ham radio, and since I believe that those who would wish to advance in a technical avocation should be willing to learn as much about that avocation as possible ( see my signature line ), and since Morse Code is used as a method to identify a repeater, I see no reason why a ham would NOT desire to know enough of the code to be able to decode it.

I guess I did miss the part about his having tried various programs to decode the morse. Perhaps his better question would have been "what am I doing wrong that this software would not work properly?"

The morse on the sound file was machine sent, and quite easy to decode. I cannot understand why he was having trouble with it.

My apologies. I will try to be less sensitive in the future!

7. KD0KKV

Apology accepted. And, for the record, i'm up to 3 letters on the koch method, and even though I have no way to prove it, I installed and have used G4FON's trainer several times before this all started :)

Edit: Also, I completely forgot, my dad, KD0KKU got me a morse code training cd, which I will admit is still in the cellophane somewhere in this mess, but I did intend on listening to it too! I just didn't want to get in the middle of a flame war ;)

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  8. W2NCS

W2NCS Ham Member QRZ Page

My two cents

OK, you probably don't care or want to hear it, but here is my two cents.

I became a ham in 1968 at the age of 11. I learned the entire morse code in one week, and was up to 5 wpm in about 3 weeks. Took and passed my Novice on the first try. Believe me, if I could do it, anyone can. The reason I did it was my desire to become a ham. In my humble opinion, that is what it all boils down to. If you REALLY want something, you will do what you have to do to get it.

Ham radio is not a hobby that should be encouraging increasing our ranks just for the sake of increasing them. If people REALLY want to be a ham, they SHOULD have to know both the technical aspects and the morse code. So many hams today that don't know morse code enjoy the digital aspects of ham radio. Lest we forget, morse IS the original digital mode. I believe if you don't want to take the time to learn morse code and just want to communicate in voice modes, then you should get a CB radio. Professionalism in ham radio is what has ALWAYS separated us from CB'ers. I know, I'm an old ####### who doesn't like change. However, change for the sake of change is rarely a good thing. Eliminating the morse code requirement was done ENTIRELY to increase the declining ranks of ham radio. Let's be serious. I believe that most of you are intelligent people. Do you honestly believe that it was hams that wanted to increase the ranks so badly they would do away with tradition? It was obviously lobbied for by the manufacturers and retailers of ham radio equipment looking to boost their declining sales of ham radio products. Once again, it comes down to money.:eek:

As far as repeaters identifying in morse, are you serious????? Have we all become so lazy that we can't pick up a book, or look up on the internet what repeater is located in what state and on what frequency???? In today's world, the information is all right there at your fingertips. Take a second out of your busy schedule and look it up. It would probably take LESS time than posting a question on a bulletin board. There is a valid reason why amateur and commercial repeaters id in morse. We should change that just because people are too lazy to learn morse or look up the information using other means?:mad:

I agree that AG3Y was wrong for jumping down his throat the way he did. And, obviously he agrees also and apologized for his actions. However, I can certainly understand his frustration. The world today is a very different place. And NOT a very good one, I might add. We all need to take a step back and look at the direction we are headed. Tolerance is a very important thing to have, and helping our younger hams should be at the top of the list. Just don't forget that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Sometimes, we need to help ourselves and it is quite apparent to me that too many hams today aren't willing to do that.

You can agree or disagree, I'm just giving my opinion and that doesn't mean that I am correct.

Now, for you newer hams that DON'T know morse code. Now that you have your license, why not learn? By not learning, you are missing out on ONE of the fun (and traditional) aspects of ham radio. If you are a tech, you need to learn morse if you want to take advantage of the limited HF privileges that your license affords to you. Why wouldn't you want to get all of the enjoyment you can out of your hobby? If you need help or want a QSO, I will be more than happy to speak with you or talk to you on the air at whatever speed you are comfortable. Contact me and we will set up a sked.:)

9. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The original poster stated he was now trying to learn code.

BTW, what about some of the Extra Class ops asking where an SWR meter goes in line? Or how about, "Can I use any brand of 50 ohm coax to join up with another run of 50 ohm coax to make my coax longer?"

All from Extra Class calls. So what are they learning when they study the theory?

Or the rules for that matter, when we hear them operating below the phone bands where they have no privilege to operate? Hell I know one "EXTRA CLASS" who thought he had to ID every ten minutes even if he was not involved in the QSO. He would literally key up and ID right on top of one of the people who were in the QSO. Why? When I finally confronted him he stated "The FCC says I have to ID every ten minutes" :rolleyes:

Learning code does not make you a better operator. It means you know how to receive code! Maybe not transmit it properly (listen to the CW portions of the band)

Code requirements are long gone. No point in bringing it back up. If someone wants to learn CW so they can operate that mode then good for them.

Let them do it at their own pace.

BTW, I passed my code requirements years ago so I could operate on all of the HF bands. Rarely do I operate CW. But I learned it because it was a requirement at the time.

One of my best Amateur Radio friends can operate all the HF bands and he did not have to pass a code test. Does that mean he is inferior to me? I don't look at it that way. He is a good op and is always willing to listen and learn.

Plus most of the repeaters ID's I have heard in the past were too fast for new comers to code to copy.

Now flame away boys :D

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  10. W2NCS

W2NCS Ham Member QRZ Page

DID YOU FORGET TO TAKE YOUR MEDS AGAIN!!??? First of all, I never said anywhere that he WASN'T learning code. Second of all, I clearly stated it was just my OPINION! If you disagree, that is fine. Now, go take your meds and flame away yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.