ad: QSLcardEU-1

can someone decode this cw id for me?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KD0KKV, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD0KKV

KD0KKV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been trying to decode it with various cw readers for computer with no success. It's a strange frequency I found here that isn't listed in any repeater database I can find, and it doesn't relay voice. It only beeps back after transmitting with a pl tone of 100, and now I'm curious. I was able to record it's id with my speaker mic's headphone jack plugged into my sound in.

2. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N0JOQ/R - the database says it's in Commerce City, CO...

3. AA8IA

AA8IA Subscriber QRZ Page

Even if you don't know CW you should easily be able to identify this by simply writing down the characters and then cross referencing them with a list of Morse code characters found on the internet.

-. ----- .--- --- --.- -..-. .-.

N0JOQ/R

According to Google, in Denver 447.125 or 145.475, both PL 100.0

Mike

4. KD0KKV

KD0KKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks guys. I'll remember that for next time Mike. I never even thought of that. Ran across a few online code generators that worked that way. :)

5. AA8IA

AA8IA Subscriber QRZ Page

No problem. I probably came off as being a you-know-what with my response, but that wasn't my intent :)

Mike

6. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

OK, I will sound like the Smart@&&!

Anybody who considers themselves to be a real ham radio operator should know enough CW to be able to at least decode a repeater auto-ID ! ! !

Go ahead, fire up the flame throwers. But I cannot believe that someone couldn't or wouldn't be able to figure out a way to decode those "beeps" well enough to understand what was being sent! Use a recorder, copy down the dots and dashes on paper and use a lookup table to decipher it, get some software that can copy CW ( CWGet comes to mind) DO ANYTHING BUT stoop to embarrassing yourself in this manner on an international internet forum!

OK, I will get off my soapbox, and go get my flameproof undies on. I'm ready for the onslaught!

7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a great chart for decoding Morse.

[​IMG]

Granted, it is not complete, but with some additions it would be real close, for example, the slash is not there and could be added to the 'X'.

8. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that when a new ham asks a question wherein we 'real hams', (especially Extras that should know better) have the opportunity to Elmer we should take the opportunity to do it and do it well. Telling the new ham that asking the question poises him (or her) for embarrassment is epic FAIL.

My apologies to KD0KKV. KKV, if you feel the need to ask a ham radio or electrical question (I am a licensed electrician) and don't want to run the risk of 'embarrassment' feel free to PM me. I am one of the instructors for the club here in Muskegon, MI. If you decide to try to learn the Code, I can help you with that, as well.

FWIW, I was a Tech for 10 years. NEVER did I have another ham ridicule me for not learning the Code. I did it when I felt good and ready, same for upgrading.

Take your time, you have your whole life to explore ham radio and you also have the right to decide which aspects you will pursue without being belittled by others in our craft.

9. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

Mark, I WAS "ridiculed" into getting my ham licenses, all the way from Novice to Extra. When I was working in Broadcasting, with my 1st Class RadioTelephone, a CBer, no less, asked me WHY IN THE WORLD, I did NOT have a HAM LICENSE ? My answer, "Because I couldn't learn the Code". After he hammered me enough to get me mad enough, I took the plunge, and learned, the hard way, enough CW to pass the 5 wpm Novice level. Then immediately, I started hearing from my friends and associates, "Well, you still have three levels ( General, Advanced, and EXTRA ! ) to go ! When you gonna get THEM ? ? ?" After I had gotten my Advanced, I still heard "Well, you STILL have ONE MORE LEVEL TO GO ! When you gonna get THAT? ? ? " I finally showed THEM, but it was a difficult journey for me!

I'm glad, Mark, that your journey wasn't so difficult, or filled with "ridicule" ! ! ! I could wish that EVERYONE would have such a peaceful trip!

But, I am NOT trying to "ridicule" anyone. I am simply stating that one of the skills that any ham radio operator should have, along with the ability to build his own simple antennas, figure out how to hook up all the meters, switches, amps, etc. that he/she is bound to collect along the way, is the ability to figure out how to decode a simple CW ID that is being sent by a machine at a relatively modest speed. If he can't do it by ear, certainly he should be able to do it with one of the methods I mentioned in my first post.

No ridicule intended, just an honest opinion of what kind of skillset constitutes the makings of an amateur radio operator!

10. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks suspiciously like a black widow spider.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.