Can I recover partitions & data after doing this:

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by VK2AKG, Sep 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VK2AKG

VK2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all, I appreciate the help and advice. Here is where I am up to at the moment:

I have burned an iso image of Hiren's boot disk to a DVD and ordered a couple of 2TB hard drives from a computer shop - they expect to receive those drives from their supplier some time between 00:30 hrs and 06:30 hrs UTC Friday. My intent is to use one of these to become a clone / image of the problem drive and the other to receive the data I hope to recover from that clone.

Hopefully the next time I report back to the group I will have an image / clone of the "departitioned" disk and be launching myself into the great adventure of data recovery.

Thanks again.

73 Frank vk2akg.

KA9JLM likes this.
  2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

One possibility: reinstall the OLD drive, and see if you can access partitions using the CD boot disk. IF so, copy the files in those partitions to an external drive , before doing ANYTHING else! Then, you can "play around"with a new drive installed internally.

3. VK2AKG

VK2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

SUCCESS! THANK YOU!

Thanks to advice received both on and off list I have been able to extract my data from the old "departitioned" drive and save it on a mechanically albeit not electrically "external" drive (a 2TB hard drive placed on an adjacent toolbox and plugged into the motherboard).

Readers will remember that I wanted to recover the data from a clone of the original "departitioned" disk. This didn't happen.

I suspect, but don't know, that this was due to my not correctly preparing the disk onto which I sought to place a copy of the original. The new disk had no partitions and was not formatted - since it was going to receive a 1:1 image of the original disk I didn't think that would matter - maybe it does?

Fortunately for me whilst trying to work out why making a 1:1 copy of the original "departitioned" disk wasn't working I noticed that the most important two of the four lost partitions on the original drive had become readable on my original drive - with the benefit of hindsight it looks like I should have tried W7UUU's suggestion first.

Naturally I siezed on that opportunity and, over the last week have manually selected and copied the readable content of those partitions onto another external drive.

THE NEXT STEP:

Before I copy this data onto my newly installed disk zero I would like to shrink the huge (1.8TB) partition2 currently labelled as C: drive down to approximately 500GB which is more than sufficient to hold software and create a new circa 1.5TB partition to hold my data files.

Win7pro has a "shrink" utility however this only wants to allow me to shrink that partition to 969GB which seems a real waste of space (see screenshot below).

Is there a more efficient method of shrinking that partition and, if not, is there a method of transferring Win7pro to a 300GB partition on another disk (without reinstalling)? I have an old copy of Acronis True Image which I once used to transfer windows to a larger disk - will it, or another tool, allow me to transfer windows to a smaller partition?

THANK YOU to all who gave advice it has been VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

Regards, Frank vk2akg

20190929-0306_disk_overview.jpg

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I would not shrink the system drive. By default it is used for pagefile.sys, And its file size can vary.

Enjoy.