ad: ProAudio-1

Can I reactivate an old call sign?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by CORVETTE66, Jul 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it won't. Not at all. What matters is that you actually held a valid Technician license before March 21, 1987, and that you can document it.

The way it works is this:

If you have a current, unexpired Technician license, and can show that you held Technician license before March 21, 1987, then you can get a n0-test upgrade to General at a VE session by presenting your proof.

The proof required can be in the form of a an old license, an old FCC letter or document that states your license class back then, or a copy of a page from an old Callbook which shows the license class. (Callbooks before 1967 did not show license class (!).

This upgrade can only be done through VE sessions. It is reason for the March 21, 1987 cutoff date is that before that date, the General and Technician exams were the same. Afterwards they were not.

A call like WA3WZE would have been issued closer to 40 years ago than 30.

73 es GL de Jim, N2EY

2. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No, it hasn't. Not at all.

The no-test upgrade isn't automatic, but it's still in effect.

3. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry JB but I don't actually have that callbook. Where I got the information was via the archive on the internet.
    It's here; https://archive.org/search.php?query=subject:"callbook"
    They may not have the data you want.

Have fun
    Gary

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Was this directed to me? As I said I have already done this. I actually had to return a call to the FCC as my original license was under my first Intial and middle name. Yes they did this at one time...so did SS! No longer the case. I had to verify E. Charles and Edmund Charles were the same person to the FCC. I gave them my previous QTHs also. Anyway it was not a problem since my original call sign had never been re-issued.
    Oddly enough SS never confirmed who I was. They just changed the name on my record from E Charles to Edmund Charles without ever contacting me! So now all records use the first name even though my name and signature all of my life has been E. Charles. Bureaucracy is a strange animal.

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

A bit inaccurate. The "paper upgrade" from Tech to General is available to anyone who can provide proof of licensure before 1987. Even if an Amateur still has a Tech license, (especially kept renewed in a timely basis through the ages) and can provide proof of license before the March 1987 cut-off date, they can still request the paper upgaade without further testing, but will still have to go to a VE session to facilitate the paperwork.

6. WA9SVD

Pretend you are a physician. NO one will be able to decipher your signature.

7. WA9SVD

8. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It was not just my signature...the typed name on all of my degrees, SS card and licenses has always been first initial and middle name. This ended when I moved to Colorado in 1979 and the MVD told me I could no longer do this on my driver's license. I could sign it any way I desired.
    After 911....everything changed and I was forced to use my first name on all documents. I had to sign paperwork at the bank saying that E Charles and Edmund C was the same person. I almost didn't get on an airplane once since I made the reservation as I always did in the past. First initial...middle name. Bureaucracy does not like anything that does not conform to "their" norm.