Can I reactivate an old call sign?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by CORVETTE66, Jul 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KO6WB

    KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    This was from the Winter 1979 Callbook Page 245:
    Find a callbook that was issued in your first few years as an amateur. Make sure it pre-dates March 21,1987 and that the listing notes your class of license.
    Write down the details of which copy of the callbook you obtained the information including the volume number and the exact page of your listing.
    Obtain a copy of that and take it with you to the VE exam session. This is valid proof you were licensed as a Technician, were required to take the same examination as a General and it was done at an FCC exam site.
    Upon passing your Technician (Element 2) examination you will be granted credit for the General (Element 3) examination. You don't have to take the General examination, it's automatically given to you upon passing the Technician. This means, once it shows up on the FCC ULS you have all the privileges of a General class licensee. That includes phone privileges on all allowed MF/HF bands aside from those you'd be allowed on the 50MHz and up bands.

    So, it's worth the effort to obtain the license information from long ago.

    Hope this helps
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016

    CORVETTE66 QRZ Member

    Shelby Interiior.jpg Actually, I can't mount an antenna on the corvette, since I traded it towards the purchase of a 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby Cobra GT 350 that is presently being restored and should be finished in a few weeks. I wouldn't want to mount anything foreign on that beauty either. Guess I will need to settle for a handheld transceiver. I do have a single channel Johnson Messenger walkie-talkie on 2 meters with channels 07-67. I believe it still works. It has a charger and a separate mike. The device is huge.


    CORVETTE66 QRZ Member

    Thanks Gary. With the help of Google today it should be easier to retrieve the information. If I remember, back then I was tested by a fellow Ham with a higher class license. It consisted of the Morse code test and the written questions. It was not given by the FCC at their site. Would that then exclude me from obtaining a General class license unless I take and pass the General exam? Thanks immensely for your help. I see you are very knowledgeable in this area.

  4. KO6WB

    KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016

    CORVETTE66 QRZ Member

    Whoa! I must have missed that. It sure brings back memories. I haven't lived there for ages. I am getting real excited about getting back into Ham radio. Its like classic cars. Once you get the bug your hooked. Thanks for everything. Later.

  6. K0RGR

    K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    You may want to bring something that shows your old address, too, if you can. Some VEs want to know for certain that the person with your name in the callbook is really you. Your old callsign badge might help with that if you look old enough to have been a ham in 1979.

    They don't make a distinction about where you took the test, either. If you passed it in 1979, you passed the General written test of the day, and for many years, all ham tests have been given by volunteers, anyway.
  7. WC5B

    WC5B Ham Member QRZ Page

    Your old callsign does appear to be available and open, so getting the old call back is trivial.
  8. WD0BCT

    WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Been there...done that. Piece of cake. Get your new license and call sign then immediately request your old call sign...which can be done on the FCC website. No money required...just time. It's amazing how you seem to remember the old call sign even after 20 years of inactivity!
  9. KB0TT

    KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Chuck , unfortunately , in YOUR case the time frame for the automatic General as has
    been discussed has expired .... Too many years , you see ....

    HOWEVER , when you pass your Technician test again just go to the FCC ULS
    ( with your NEW sequential call sign ) and request your OLD call as a
    vanity call .....

    The TRICK to not get a run of the mill vanity call ' HVIE ' designation ,
    while in the information input page , check that you PREVIOUSLY were assigned that call ...

    It WORKS ( I have done it ) ...... There is a box that you check to swear that it
    WAS your call .....

    The FCC designation for a PREVIOUSLY HELD call sign is ' HVIA ' ........

    Look ME up on QRZ ...... You will , indeed , see the HVIA .....

    Unfortunately , the FCC still sees it as a vanity call ..... That is
    just the way it is .....

  10. KB0TT

    KB0TT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Gary , since you HAVE that call book , I wonder if my old call WB0VBL is
    in there ....

    The reason ? For some unknown reason the FCC automatically changed
    THAT call to N0AGS ...... It was just ' out of the blue ' and the FCC
    gave me no explanation ( WOW ! ) ....


    p.s. - It happened to my then wife WB0TSK to N0AIW , also ........

Share This Page

ad: w5yi