ad: Alphaant-1

Can I reactivate an old call sign?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by CORVETTE66, Jul 17, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. CORVETTE66

CORVETTE66 QRZ Member

I had a Technician class license around 30 years ago with the call sign WA3WZE. I want to study and get my tech license again. Can I get my old call sign back when I pass the test? It seems to be available Thanks for your help.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I'm missing something but why would a poll determine if an old call sign can be activated would that not be determined by the FCC rules and regulations which is where the answer can be found if one would take the time to research it.

3. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is possible, inform the VEC at the test session of what you want to do. Don't worry about it now, get your license first.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Especially with ambiguous answer choices like "yes or no".

Please dont mouunt any antennas on the 'Vette.

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello Everyone,
    I have removed his poll from the thread.

KN7S likes this.
  6. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

First, get relicensed, then request a vanity callsign. There is no longer any charge for a vanity call.

7. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

With a WA3 call, it's likely you were licensed before March 21,1987. If so, and you can prove it, then upon testing for the Technician license and passing, you'll be granted credit for passing the General examination. Just an added bonus the FCC made available to former licensed individuals.

Hope this helps
    Gary

P.S. yes you can get your old call back just by submitting for a vanity call. To avoid confussion, do this after the ULS has posted your valid license.

8. CORVETTE66

CORVETTE66 QRZ Member

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. That was very sound advise. Guess I could have looked the information up in the FCC regulations , especially since I am a lawyer. That would have been to easy. Sorry about making it a poll, but I am unfamiliar with this site and did not see another way to do it. 73's.

Chuck

N9DOK likes this.
  9. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a slight addendum:

After you get your license, you can request _any_ unused valid call sign that you are eligible for, as a 'vanity' call sign.

Your old call sign appears to be unused, so that means you can simply get a new license, and then request it as a vanity call sign.

However there is nothing to prevent someone else from getting that call sign...simply _very_ unlikely that anyone else will get it. (I don't believe that it will be assigned sequentially at this time, and it is unlikely that someone would request it as a vanity call.)

As others have said, if you have proof of your original license (say a copy of your original licence), take it to the exam session.

Jon
    AF7TS

10. CORVETTE66

CORVETTE66 QRZ Member

Thanks Jon. Not certain where mu old license is ; however, I do have a plastic name tag that has my former call sign, name and the AARL symbol that I wore to ham fests and swap meets back in the early 80's. Maybe that would work. 73's

Chuck