Can I mount 2 Antennas on a single mast?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by KC1LXL, Oct 30, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC1LXL

KC1LXL Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello,
    Still learning this great hobby, but wanted to ask opinions on mounting two antennas on the same mast. I have spoken to a few folks and views are differing on the subject. I have a multi-band radio with dual antenna inputs. I own a GP-6 vertical antenna mounted on an eave mount to provide me 146 MHz and 446 MHz frequencies. The antenna is clamped on metal mast.

I also want to eventually enjoy HF, so I have a CHV-5X multi band dipole which I will mount either in a V or horizontal position

Ideally, I would like to mount both antennas on the same mast... the vertical up top and the horizontal below. Is this possible? Would there be interference issues even though only one antenna would be in operation at a time. I have a longer mast if spacing needs to be maintained.

Thank you

2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

If they are different in polarity, It should not be problem.

Vertical Antennas side mounted below the top of the mast can have weird directional patterns.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

But also, possibly some very useful directional patterns.

KA9JLM and AK5B like this.
  4. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

The dipole looks like a horizontal one to me. If the mast can take the weight then I don't see an issue here. Only if you were putting up a wire dipole fed with window or ladder line would you have a problem with the feedline coming down (can't tape to the mast).

5. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Done it many times. Should not be a problem. The VHF/UHF antenna should not interact with an HF antenna or vice versa. Separate the two by a couple of feet vertically and you should be good