ad: PortRo-1

Can I Convert a Win10 Back to a Win7 ????

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K2WH, Jun 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
  1. K2WH

K2WH XML Subscriber Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I have this very nice laptop that has win7 in it. The wife and I are very good with it.

We tried win10 twice and had problems with the learning curve and went back to win7. In win10, we had problems finding familiar things that we were used to and had to deal with all the other unnecessary pop up stuff we do not use. We just use email and some shopping website, no wifi are hard wired, no smartphones etc and we would lose our MSoffice 2010 professional that has all our stuff.

So, I loaded a piece of software that stops Micro Soft from encouraging us to upgrade to win10 so that is no longer an issue.

I keep a mirror image backup of the hard disk in this win7 machine which in the event of failure, I can restore the hard disk back to it original data.

However, I need to know if this machine (win7) craps out entirely, unable to save, and I get a machine that is win10, can I load my mirror image back to the win10 machine and make it my original win7?

2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

The short answer - probably not. If you buy a clone of the pc you have now, you could load that as an image. The issue set would be related to the drivers. You may run into trouble with the MS license, as the MAC (networking hardware) addr on the new machine will be different

Sadly, you can't even buy the - 7 software anymore.

If you check back, I'm sure someone will come along shortly to explain that I'm an idiot, don't know what I'm talking about etc.

Best of luck, I'm fighting the same thing at a corporate level....

3. RICHS

RICHS QRZ Member

The real question is do you have a retail licensed win 7 dvd? If yes, you probably can load win 7 on the new machine. You can't load an oem version on a new machine because windows won't load oem software on a machine with a different bios serial number than the original.

I know one person that got around the oem problem. He had multiple machines that were identical and the bios chip was in a socket and the chip could be moved to the other computer. Sometimes even this doesn't work because there are other firmware issues at work. I also know many techs who tried to desolder the bios chip and that ended most of the time in disaster. 4+ layer boards need very good sophisticated desoldering equipment.

KL7KN likes this.
  4. RICHS

RICHS QRZ Member

That maybe incorrect at this time but time is or has pretty much ran out. There are reputable Microsoft authorized companies that may still have win 7 downloadable software. Try "microswiss" on eBay. This is an excellent honest company in France, Switzerland or Belgium, not sure but I bought 2 retail licenses of win 7 for $60 each and they activated. I also checked with Microsoft how many times they were activated and the answer was 0 before I loaded them the first time.

I also bought Win 2008 and win 2012 server for 1/4 the going price and they also worked. Very good company and no I don't have any connection to the company or people there. And the people write good English and they are very nice and friendly. However, their eBay auction sites are usually in French or German and that needs getting used to but I use Google translate if I need to check something that ain't in English. I can usually figure out what they are saying even though I don't know French or German very well.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  5. AE9AM

AE9AM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For restoring a full backup onto different hardware, that's probably dependent on your backup software. Acronis seems to be pretty good at dealing with stuff like this from my experience. If you just have a drive image, then you may well have problems as the Windows in your disk image will be configured with drivers specific to your old motherboard, so your mileage may vary. There are probably tools that would help get things running if you get desperate, but it might be a pain in the butt.

You can probably find retail boxed Windows 7 with media and license key still out there for sale somewhere.

However if you get a really new computer with one of the latest processors, note that Microsoft may try to prevent you from installing Windows Updates to Windows 7 under the logic that you bought a new computer so you must run Windows 10 on it because that's the only thing officially "supported" on those processors. There may be various hacks available to get around this.

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

From my own research;
    You cannot use the version of Win-7 that came with your computer, according to MS, you can buy Win-7 and install it on that machine and activate a new copy.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...416804&cm_re=Windows_7-_-32-416-804-_-Product
    They still have it.....

You will have to go to the website for your computer and ether download or ask for a driver disk for Win-7
    Some of the current drivers may not be backward compatible.

7. AE9AM

AE9AM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If the old computer dies and is not coming back, and now you're trying to activate the new hardware with your old windows install or doing a clean install from media, then of course it will whine at you when you get to the activation step. At that point it should give you options to contact Microsoft, and you can often talk them into letting you re-activate the old license as long as you're truly *replacing* the old system.

This obviously makes sense if your motherboard fried and you have to replace (or even upgrade) it, but sometimes they'll do it even if you got a whole replacement computer (like you sent the old one back to be fixed and you got shipped a replacement. As long as the old computer (and its instance of Windows) is gone and not coming back then they're usually fine with it, but it can take a lot of time on the phone with them (they ultimately don't want to make the customer unhappy, but you are at their mercy at that point).

I've had to do this several times over the years.

If you're going to be running two copies of Windows on two different systems then obviously you're going to need two licenses and you're much better off not trying to "cheat" somehow.

8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had that problem. It took me 2 weeks to get everything playing nice.

But it is a can do, Most of the time.

Some of the new Win 10 machines are OS locked. I would not buy one of those.

AF6LJ likes this.