ad: QSKLLC-1

Can anyone ID this key?

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K2HN, Apr 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. K2HN

K2HN Subscriber QRZ Page

Obtained this key a while ago and decided to clean it up. It is all brass so disassembled it an ran it through my Lyman ultrasonic cleaner. There are no markings or any kind of identifying clues. I believe it is quite old going by the amount of oxidation that was on it. It was all almost black. Any info would be appreciated. 73 keyside.JPG keytop.JPG

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  2. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Signal Electric R-6X. the X ( 2, 3, or 4) depends one the size of the contacts .. Yours looks like a R-62 with 3/16 inch (4.8mm) contacts... I believe.. circa 30's-40's

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    WB5YUZ and K2HN like this.
  3. K2HN

K2HN Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. Doing a search I see one on Ebay. It looks pretty identical except for the knob. But, it does say Signal Electric on it???

4. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many had what they call Navy knobs vs the flat knob... and I believe not all were marked ... there are a few on here way more expert than me, hopefully one may chime in and confirm for us.

5. K2HN

K2HN Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Brian, How about the R-62,63 or 64, decided by the contact size it looks like. W/o measuring exact the contacts look to be 1/8". http://www.zianet.com/sparks/signal for russ.jpg

6. K2HN

K2HN Subscriber QRZ Page

This one does have the mica glass underneath and managed to put it back together with just a slight tear near one screw.

KQ4MM likes this.
  7. K2HN

K2HN Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Brian, Your "close enough for gov't work" :). Just good to get an idea where it came from.

8. K2HN

K2HN Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry, should have caught the X 2,3, or 4. It looks to me that you hit it on the nose from what I can find.
    Tnx agan
    jim/k2hn

9. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice key!

If you look under the rear gap adjustment screw, I've never seen one that didn't say Signal Electric on it. Look again.

10. K5DH

K5DH Ham Member QRZ Page

For reference, here is the marking on my R-62 key:

upload_2019-5-26_16-31-34.jpeg

Mine came with its original box. I snagged it off eBay a few months ago for $15 plus postage! (the bidders must have been sleeping). I've noticed that the "Navy" style knobs on these keys have a brownish tint to them, as opposed to the coal black of most key knobs. I have no idea why that is, but I've owned several of them and they were all that way.

upload_2019-5-26_16-32-58.jpeg

W1BR and KQ4MM like this.