Can a mag mount come loose while driving?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KK6DCT, Mar 15, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W4HUF

W4HUF Ham Member QRZ Page

nah im not drilling any holes in my car...it maybe best but i dont want to do that...

2. N6TPT

N6TPT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I just had one come loose this afternoon. Doing about 70 mph down the freeway and heard a loud bang. Looked in the side mirror and there was the antenna, hanging from the cable. Fortunately, not dragging on the pavement. Larsen mag mount that I've had for decades. I recall it having more pull to hold it in place than it seems to have now. I'll have to take another antenna off its mount and see if it holds better. Just what I need, another expense on this installation. :)

3. G7TGY

G7TGY Ham Member QRZ Page

Not an antenna but turned up at a 999 (911) call as a paramedic towing a blue mag mount beacon behind me :) The coiled cable was rather stretched and I then understood why so many people hadn't moved out of the way of my unmarked car...

TGY

4. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Depends on the mount. I have a mount with three, 5" magnets that I can barely get off when I need to. I have used it with a 7' long, MFJ 'hamstick' clone and hit tree branches with no problems (other than destroying my 17M antenna).

5. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

The only time I had a mag mount come loose was back in my CB days when my wife drove the car through a car wash without taking the antenna down first. It ripped the antenna off and left the dangling end of the coax. I think she did it on purpose as she didn't go back and get the antenna. Needless to say, I'm no longer married to her...

6. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Drill, baby, drill!

[​IMG]

7. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Transmitting near a black hole is not a good idea.

KC8VWM likes this.
  8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

When I had the BLACK WIDDER MOBILE, I had a 220 antenna on a magmount and all was well until one day driving down a 2 lane road. I passed an Oncoming Semi that blew it off. Scratched up the trunk, but it was held in place by the coax.
    So other than the paint, not a problem. I sure would hate for it to come loose from the coax though and fly into the windshield of a car behind me. That would really ruin their day!!!

I generally don't do mag mounts anymore. I put a piece of plastic under it to keep it from scratching the paint, but it did any way. Now I just use Trunk lip mounts!

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

How well the magnet sticks depends on how thick the metal is. I've seen crap antennas stay on an older car, despite high speed, tree limbs, etc... Also seen good antennas on a a new car with thin body panels that popped loose with a minor bump. Shorter, base-loaded antennas on a mag mount should be fine, but a longer center-loaded antenna on a mag mount, especially on a newer car, may give you problems.