Can a mag mount come loose while driving?

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by KK6DCT, Mar 15, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA8RFK

WA8RFK Ham Member QRZ Page

Your answer is:

DRILL BABY DRILL

Drill a hole!. Check out breedlove mounts. I have one for the trunk and its awesome. Just get a cheap step drill bit from harbor freight or similar. I didn't feel like spending the big bucks on a good one b/c I was only going to use it a couple times in my life.

Going through the trunk is easier for me than the roof. I don't have to worry about a headliner.

But you should consider drilling a hole. If you think you're going to sell it get a plastic or rubber plug for it and match the paint at auto zone, boom done!

2. W4KSL

W4KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

I never liked mag mounts just because how large the base is. Not to mention they eventually scratch the paint. I drilled holes in the roof for both my antennae. One NMO mount and one PL mount.

3. K6BTM

K6BTM Ham Member QRZ Page

There's still a couple of small dents in the side of the Wife's Toyota.

Not happy ! :mad:

4. AA9SD

AA9SD Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, I recently drove from Chicago to Portland, OR. Had speed limits of 75 mph most of the way, into a headwind of 20 mph. The Tram mag mount didn't move a millimeter. Unfortunately there was virtually no 2 meter activity the entire way out.

5. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

never had a problem with a small 1/4λ 2m magmount. But I have had larger antennas come off. I didn't want to drill holes, (don't know why I am the last owner of every car I have ever owned) So I opted for a trunk lip mount, it works ok. I think drilling a mounting it that way will result in a better connection to ground. But what I have now is working.

6. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I drive from VA to Kansas City twice a year, except for KY and near St. Louis I don't hear a peep on 2m. I keep .52 on all the time, rarely a sound. I am thinking about putting an 11m rig in the car, with a mag mount antenna for the long trips.

7. W4HUF

W4HUF Ham Member QRZ Page

MFJ MFJ-336T TRI MAG mount is what i use.. for hf mobile.. i check the hamstick everytime i get out of the car to make sure it isnt loose at the top or the bottom...

8. K1DWE

K1DWE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hamsphere is not ham radio

9. W4HUF

W4HUF Ham Member QRZ Page

and your point?

10. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

As others have said, drilling a hole and mounting the antenna properly is the best idea

But the other alternative - if you don't want to drill another hole - is to fit your 2m antenna in place of the existing broadcast whip.

I have done this on my last two cars, very neatly. I fit a small 12V relay at the base, which connects the special low-capacity cable from the car radio to the whip (using the feed that every radio has when it's turned on).

When the radio is OFF, the relay connects the whip to my 2m rig (installed in the dash)

In one case this was on the rear wing, on another at the front of the roof.

Incidentally, I also find my 2m 5/8 wave whip works MUCH better on the FM and AM broadcast bands than the original car antennas!