Can’t get SWR below 1.5 in HF. Can trees matter?

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K1THE, Sep 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

1:1 SWR is too much over-rated.
    My 80m EFHW shows a terribly high SWR on 40m yet you'd never know that's the case in real life...
    I routinely work 40 CW at 5 watts to the New England states and to the West...
    No, your 1.5 SWR is not a problem... Leave it alone and start enjoying it! Being critcal sucks all the fun out... ;)

K0UO and KA9JLM like this.
  2. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. Trees can Sap your power.

KK4NSF, AK5B and WE4E like this.
  3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...but to a far lesser degree if you use insulated wire.

I just returned from my annual camping trip where, due to extensive forest canopy, the majority of my 60 foot inverted L's radiator snaked up through said canopy touching many branches, boughs, and leaves along its way - with a mere 20 feet horizontal and in the clear. My logbook shows enough of the HW-8's mighty two watts of RF got radiated to provide many enjoyable contacts.

This was not presented to negate the "in the clear" portion of the general rule "as high and in the clear as possible" - but to show that adequate or better results can be enjoyed with less-than-optimum installations.

KI4ZUQ, K0UO, AK5B and 1 other person like this.
  5. K1THE

K1THE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have read the manual that came with it. The manual says to "trim or fold back and wrap the wire around itself at the far end of the radiator until the 40m VSWR is acceptable" and then once you do that go and trim the 20m stub to tune for 20m, then repeat for 15m and 10m.

But yeah, so long as SWR is low enough for the radio to handle the length of coax between the radio and feedpoint is short enough that SWR-related loss won't really amount to much. So operationally things are good.

But at this point it's more the puzzle of the thing.

Thanks for the good luck wish!

WB5YUZ likes this.
  6. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.sgcworld.com/231ProductPage.html
    The SG-231 provides a wider frequency range, higher tuning resolution and 32 times as many tuning combinations as the original Smartuner, the SG-230. It is a quality Smartuner designed to meet the precision tuning demands of government users.

On eham the SGC-230 has a slightly higher rating than the 231, 4.6 vs 4.5.

7. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

TREE LIVES MATTER! :mad: TREE LIVES MATTER!

For thousands of years, trees have been chopped down, made into Ikea Furniture, burnt in firpelaces, chipped up to be put into rich people's gardens, made into toilet paper, and had ham radio antennas strung all over them. It's so rampant that it is taken for granted.... to the point where most folks turn a blind eye toward Systemic Anti-Treeism. If you think it's not happening, just go wander around your local Home Depot and see it with your own eyes! Do you think all that lumber WANTS to be there?

BUT TREES HAVE FEELINGS, and it hurts them when we do mean things. Why do you think they call them Weeping Willows, for God's sake? Gee Manitty! Dang it! I'm now so upset that I think I'm going to go outside, and apologize on your behalf to the Crepe Myrtle in my front yard. :D :p

KA9JLM and KI4ZUQ like this.