callsign question

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA4NWC, Jun 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He didn't renew in 1998 and it automatically cancelled in 2000. It's been available a looong time.

upload_2021-6-15_8-24-46.png

2. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WE4E beat me to it.

WA9SVD: What point were you making? I missed it.

Regards,
    -Bruce

3. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgive me for reading the ORIGINAL post, which specifically used the term CANCELLED. Since both posts above are an hour after mine, what is YOUR point?
    Except, perhaps the OP used an incorrect term, which I didn't point out in a snarky manner.

4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

If you can't get your father-in-law's call, I can give you a SWEET deal on WA3PQM.

5. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

It looks like it was cancelled on October 5, 2000.

6. KU4X

I don't see where the OP used an incorrect term, i.e., Cancelled. If it was another term, please enlighten me.

I was asking you for clarification of the above phrase, which implied the license in question was not cancelled.
    WE4E's post showed the license in question expired (no longer available for use by the holder) on 4 Oct 1998 and then was cancelled on 5 Oct 2000
    (making it available for re-issue.)

Since you implied snarkiness on my question, I apologize as I didn't intend in any, but the directness of the wording I used could be taken that way.
    Again, I'm sorry.

So please let me rephrase my question: What did you mean by "It would seem that the license merely expired (i.e. not renewed) but not "cancelled,..."

And we agree that "the government (and the FCC) works in strange and mysterious ways."

Regards,
    -Bruce

7. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Have they started charging the $35 for the vanity yet?

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe semantics is causing some confusion. At least to my understanding, a license expires if it is not renewed. (To which we seem to agree.) Again, however, my understanding is that "cancelled" would mean an action by the FCC, either for reason of rule violation (NOT:( good) or by request of the licensee before a licensee expires. (Unusual, but not impossible.) Apparently, the FCC seems to use the terms differently, but I don't understand how an "expired" license can later be cancelled, or needs to be.:confused: Or, the FCC does, indeed, work in mysterious ways?:rolleyes:

9. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It becomes cancelled when its no longer available for renewal.

K8XG, W0FS, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  10. KU4X

True.

Also true.

A license is cancelled when an expired license is not renewed within the two-year grace period allowed by the FCC rules.
    Let me use your call sign, if I may, as an example: WA9SVD expires on 4/12/2024. If you do not renew it before this date, you may no longer use it, but it still belongs to you. If someone puts in a vanity request for it they will not receive it. You have two years after the expiration date to renew it. So let's say that on 9/24/2024 you realize that your license has expired. (No doubt someone here on da Zed brought it your attention! :eek:) You then submit an application for renewal, along with required fee :mad:, it is approved and you are now good to go with an active (no longer expired) license.

If by some chance you do not renew WA9SVD within the two-year renewal window, the FCC will cancel WA9SVD on 4/13/2026. The call sign will no longer be associated with you (except as a prior holder.) It will be returned to the call sign pool and then be eligible for reassignment.

So expire and cancel are two separate actions that are not the same. I find it easy to remember that cancellation comes after expiration.

Hopefully I have cleared the muddy waters.

Regards,
    -Bruce

K8XG, W0FS and K7JEM like this.