callsign question

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA4NWC, Jun 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA4NWC

WA4NWC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks, I am a new tech licensee and I have a question about callsign, specifically vanity. My father in law used to be big into amateur radio. Helped with emergency services etc. He has been out of it for quite a while now, a decade plus. His old callsign is listed in the ULS as cancelled. I have browsed and haven't been able to find a solid answer. Am I able to apply for a vanity callsign to get his old callsign and continue it on? He is not deceased and that is all I could find about taking over an old callsign. It has been cancelled for well over two years. I remember reading something about a two year timeframe on cancelled callsigns. Thanks.
    Brad-KO4QZI

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it's been cancelled for more than two years and is available now, you can apply for it immediately as a vanity call, provided you have sufficient license class. You don't have to apply under any special circumstances.

4. WA4NWC

Thanks for the info guys.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go for it, but remember, as WE4E says, you must hold a license class to which the callsign can be assigned. You might need to upgrade to General, for example. Which is a Good Thing.

WE4E likes this.
  6. WA4NWC

I think it should work.. He was a technician plus. Group D. Three letter suffix. WA4NWC. I am studying for my general as we speak regardless.

WZ7U, N3RYB and W4NNF like this.
  7. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WA4NWC is immediately available.
    You can apply for it at any time.
    ;)

8. WA4NWC

I just submitted the app for it!

W5BIB, N3RYB and KP4SX like this.
  9. WE4E

WE4E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You'll have it in a little over two weeks. I doubt seriously anyone else will apply.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

It would seem that the license merely expired (i.e. not renewed) but not "cancelled," unless he deliberately notified the FCC he no longer wanted to be licensed, and surrendered his license, which would seem strange, but possible. (Then again, the government (and the FCC) works in strange and mysterious ways.:rolleyes: They may not make a distinction.:(