Calling G1M G-CORE owners - firmware backup?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KL7KN, Sep 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings.

EuGene, KA5NLY was kind enough to loan me his G1M G-CORE qrp radio. I'm working up an expanded Operations manual for the rig. I will release the document once I have finished Beta testing.

In exploring the web, I don't find anyone that has discussed sorting out how to download the radio set firmware for backup. The https://xiegu.eu/downloads/ site expressly denies any backup of firmware nor does it offer even simple directions for downloading a B/U from a working unit. Odd, given that a USB "Comm" cable is provided. Clearly, this seems to be a low-budget item in their line.

So, a question for the hive mind here on the Zed:

Has anyone sorted out how to **safely** download a Backup copy of the G1M - G-CORE firmware?

I hesitate to experiment on a loaned unit.as it would be too easy to brick the rig.

I look forward to any constructive replies, hopefully with some idea of how to work a download.

Thx in advance

Don//KL7KN

2. KL7KN

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I have absolutely no idea why the thread was locked in the first place. Clearly a "slip of the mouse" meant for another thread.

Sorry about that - it's back open now for posting

Dave
    W7UUU

KL7KN likes this.
  4. KL7KN

I requested the lock

Why? the question posed had been fully answered.

I found the data after digging around for a few more hours. I'm embarrassed to have stopped before finding the data on the web.

5. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Don,

I suspect that some folks will still have problems downloading the firmware update, as some postings on Google suggest there are sometimes problems. Maybe they just didn't type in the right things when attempting to download...maybe if there are problems, we will get some feedback on this thread to learn about them, and possible go-arounds.

I'm still rather nervous about attempting the download myself, as I can be QLF on the keyboard as well as on my key!

EuGene

KL7KN likes this.
  6. KL7KN

LOL

PSE QRS.

The links I've ID'd walk you thru the boot-load. Maybe there is something on UTooB?

7. KA5NLY

KA5NLY Ham Member QRZ Page

Don,

Do I attach the G1M to my computer with the supplied USB cable then got to that radiooddity site to download the program into the G1M?

If it doesn't coach me with each step I would be in trouble...as a guy who could screw up a wet dream, I would be hesitant to mess with any sort of download process which is not idiot proof.

EuGene

8. KL7KN

Download the rar package

unzip. (Rar = zipped)

the Tera term is an application, launch

follow the directions from thr G1M .IO site

the 1.07 file is what you will upload.

you WILL need a driver for the USB serial cord that came with the radio. The .IO Site has the driver.

9. KG4ZQZ

KG4ZQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

it is good that Xiegu has provided a backup firmware for the G1M.. alas, due to poor design with PCB mounted jacks prone to stress failure and a lousy factory mic (with an unused built-in speaker - LOL!), I believe the rig is orphaned... most firmware development is now focused on the G90 and to a lesser degree, the X5105

i reflashed one of my G1Ms with the firmware, which worked fine... the G1M at a used price of less than $150 would make for an interesting project for modification.. i would move all jacks off the PCB to chassis mount and institute some better passive cooling

otherwise the little 4-bander is a nice QRP rig with excellent general coverage receive for AM BCB and SW

10. KL7KN

If you wander over tot he G1M dot IO group (https://groups.io/g/XIEGU-G1M) , they have photos of just such a mod.

Pretty active group of folks that seem unafraid to crack the case and apply melted solder.

With the entire 'bottom' half of the case used as (an inadequate) heat-sink, it should be easy to add a finned plate, mcnu like I see offered for the KX2/KX3. I see this as an issue only if using digi modes with a 100% duty cycle....since you cannot adjust the output power levels on the G1M.

The G1M IO group does have some very good information like this post::

G1M is NOW up and running again with the new G1M_ZIF_FW_V1.07_build001.xgf

Power off sequence is critical following FW upload.

1. Remove 12 volt power cable from radio
    2. Turn front knob to power OFF position
    3. Unplug COM cable from radio
    4. Reconnect 12 volt power cable to radio
    5. Turn front knob to power ON position

CW signals are now much narrower. Only noticeable change so far.

73 Jack, WA7LNW

These IO boards offer quite a bit for any number of radios...