ad: MyersEng-1

Calling Frequency similar to Marine 500kHz

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by VK5EEE, Jul 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page

There is some current discussion and call among some of us ex marine R/O for a similar "calling frequency" on HF. Many say "why the need" and that is true that it is not needed per se as in essential, however, it would still serve a useful and missing purpose: a place (on 40m due to not requiring skip distance to be too long and also popularity of this band) where people can simply leave the dial when doing other things, get a good variety of activity coming and going on frequency, and it truly was such great fun to listen and call on 500kHz for those reasons too. Basic code of conduct would be that no one hogs the frequency by using it as an endless loop of CQ, or longer than 3x3 CQ format, and probably no more than 3 calls per say 5 minutes (on 500 I believe we had a limit guideline of no more than 3 calls per half hour). People could call friends, or CQ, and use it as a place to meet, given that a particular sked frequency could be in use, but a calling frequency one would always have a "right" (note I put it in inverted commas, don't want to go into too much argument about that) at least a convention or gentleman's agreement, similar to the listing of the IBP beacons guard frequencies... to call and then move off. We want to go ahead with this idea, so we're more interested not in the opposition to it, but in the choice of frequency that those interested in the concept would suggest. Obviously it shouldn't be an existing popular club channel or QRP channel, and it should be an easy to remember and not unusual kHz. The proposal for 7025 was considered not practical as many clubs use that as a "Centre of Activity" and many skeds and QSO take place there, so we are considering the idea of 7050. This is in Australia, how would that go down in USA according to your band plans and activity around that frequency, is that a bad choice for any reason?

2. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe that SSB mobile operators in VK use 7.050 as an unofficial calling frequency. Have not listened to 7.050 for a while as am busy with CW on the lower end of the band and am not to sure of the SSB activity on 7.050.

Perhaps 7.028 would be better even though it is regarded as the calling frequency for VK QRP. There is not to much dedicated QRP activity (lamentable) and would think .028 would not be to much of a conflict.

Nothing to stop a QRP op from putting out a testing CQ or joining in I guess.

3. AA8TA

AA8TA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in the U.S there seems to be a lot of SKCC people who hang around 7050. I moved down to around 7030 because I don't have a mechanical key and I think that put some of them off because they couldn't count me for whatever award level they were going for. If your group wants to hang around a particular frequency, that's fine, just don't get huffy when people like me loose track of all the various frequencies we're supposed to watch out for. I can't possibly keep track of them all.

W0GSQ and VK5EEE like this.
  4. 9V1VV

9V1VV Ham Member QRZ Page

VK5EEE... good to be in touch again.

In my humble opinion a calling frequency would not work well in USA where there are hundreds of ops on the bands at one time. The calling freq would be jammed with callers. It would end up sounding like a DX pileup on simplex.

The only places it would work are in the less populated areas, Asia for example.

But bear in mind that if you are a member of any CW club (FOC, FISTS, SKCC, CW OPS, HSC, etc etc) the RBN skimmers will automatically spot you when you call CQ anywhere. I use RBN for finding friends or general CQ callers.

look at

http://pa4n.xs4all.nl/bandmap.html

John/9V1VV

5. VK2WP

VK2WP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for putting up that pa4n link. Never knew it existed, there are so many internet thingies about nowadays.

Cheers, Nick

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a common freq to listen to?
    Many of the big clubs like SKCC, FISTS, and the QRP clubs have "gathering places", "watering holes" or "calling freq" places published for each band. SKCC uses 7055 or 7120 on 40M, for instance. I don't know why so many have picked 7050 ? It's not listed in the club website. . Another one is 7114 that has become an unofficial "Elmer" frq where experienced ops will send a slow CQ for newer ops to answer and get some good practice on the air in a real QSO.
    There are a lot of freqs to listen to if you just do some research on various club websites that have national or worldwide scope/.
    So many interest niches that one freq can't cover everyone, not like maratime ops on 500 KHz or 2182 KHz was on the old time marine band, or 156.800 FM for today's Boaters

ists

7. VK5EEE

Hi folks, yes, I use sometimes RBN you can filter e.g. VK* if you want to see all CQ by VK stations... but it's nice to be able to do without computer too. Yes, I also use 7115LSB=7114CW to Elmer a local VK5Foundation towards CW. The 7050 is not by or for any particular club, but just a calling frequency some of us have now adopted with good results so far. 9V1VV nice to see you too, and you are right, that's exactly why we thought of it here, because during the day in VK there can often be NO activity for hours at a time on weekdays. But it's also great fun to listen to even through the Indon. intruder QRM, until late in the evening we were still having VK calls coming through. Hope to hear you there that would be a nice suprise to here 9V! So far adoption is going well, in its first 2 days, and when I'm back over in your area, hopefully soon, and when I get LIS there in HS/9M, we sure could do with extending its use there. Would be nice to have a bridge of OPs all the way the old telegraph cable went from Adelaide - Alice Springs - Darwin - Singapore - Penang, how lovely that would be to have a chain of OPs along that route :) K8JD you are right, and the problem is, as each club rightfully have their own centre of activity frequencies, but those frequencies are often in parts of the world, hardly used, if at all. A one-for-all, is good in such situations. It can cover everyone who doesn't have another place to go or finds no responses, much the same as why there is a CW calling freq on 2m, 6m, even 10m (was). 73 de Lou.

8. VK5EEE

One frequency can cover everyone I think K8JD, it's working very well here in VK now, the various club frequencies aren't perhaps because there are too few club members, having a simple CW calling freq much like 500 is working well. See vkcw.net/7050 for how we arrived at it and some of the rationale. It may not be needed in USA but here and as 9V1VV said in this region too, it really helps us a lot! Unlike Center of Activity frequencies, this one is purely calling/announcements then we move off. So it's a nice place to leave the rig when busy with other things. Get to hear lots of calls, and with our Code of Conduct to keep call short (3x3 max overall), not too frequent (no more than 3 per 5 minute period) and to QSY for QSO, it's interesting to listen there.