Calling Frequencies for ssb 10 Meters

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN4ICU, Apr 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

He was also my very first contact on a cool old "semi-homebrew" 10m 3.5 watt transceiver I saved from the dump a few years ago.

Odd dude for sure but he really takes his 10-meters seriously and is certainly the band's most prolific user by far

Dave
    W7UUU

2. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I never heard of 28.337 as a legitimate amateur frequency, at least in the U.S. ; here it's often used by unlicensed operators. 28.400 is a pretty common "calling "frequency, with 28.380MHz a second choice. When the band is open, most U.S. operations go up from 28.400 MHz. The foreign ops often operate at the high end of 28.4000 (28.495 MHz) and above.

3. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Todd and his wife are a big improvement over what I hear on the local 2 meter CB repeaters. :confused::confused::confused:

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

A local net operates on 28.380... even when they hear other stations occupying that frequency. :(

5. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

Along with other allocations, 28.300 - 28.500 was given to Novice and Tech class licensees in 1987 (USB use only; 200w PEP maximum output) to promote activity within the beginning licensee tiers.

Have you a current band plan and rule book? It's in there. All other FCC-licensed classes may use the sub-allocation with any authorized modes and power levels, just as they can from 28.500 and up.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  6. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh?

7. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We had a pretty good band opening on 10 over the weekend. There was an OM calling CQ on 28.400 and then having short QSOs with his contacts. There were some other folks dropping unidentified comments that he wasn't using the calling frequency correctly.

Which is worse, not using the calling frequency correctly or intentional unidentified QRM?

8. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

There is nothing in the current arrl band plan that requires/recommends USB .
    http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Regulatory/Band Chart/Band Chart - 11X17 Color.pdf

and 97.307 (f) (10)

A station having a control operator holding a Novice Class operator license or a Technician Class operator license may only transmit a CW emission using the international Morse code or phone emissions J3E and R3E.

9. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

As I recall, the Enhancement (as originally implemented) limited Novice/Tech licensees to USB on the 10M segment. A non-starter for a General or higher class, regardless. But a positive step if that regulation was amended to include both sideband emissions.

10. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

A COURTEOUS op with a pile-up would move away from 28.400 MHz. It is not as if 10 Meters is SO crowded...:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes: Unidentified transmissions are NEVER accepted or legal.

KD2ACO likes this.