Calling CQ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KG7FIU, Apr 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N7CPM

N7CPM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I never thought of doing it that way, Dave! Great suggestion. I'll have to give that a shot during my long drives down to the Portland area. I tried doing the whole "N7CPM monitoring" thing but hardly get responses. I think your ways sounds pretty good.

Have you found much activity in the Puget Sound area on 2m CW? I haven't tried that yet.

2. BG6RLC

BG6RLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Often when someone mentions 2m or 70cm band, I always recall the repeaters on these band.
    I've ever bought and gone through a book of dummy series for amateur beginners. What it says about the reason not to call CQ on repeaters is the traffics of communication on repeaters are always heavy and tons of hams are monitoring the repeaters, so one should make his talk as simple and clear as possible. Saying "CQ CQ CQ..." is redundant, instead one can just say "XXXXXX is monitoring". Then if someone want to talk to you, he'll give you an answer.

Actually, repeaters in my hometown are quite quiet. I encourage hams on these repeaters to call CQ.

3. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

It's funny, lately I've heard more than one person say "Anybody got their ears on?". My friends and I use ten-codes, partly because we work professionally in communications but mostly to irritate the OFs. There are a bunch of hams around here that use Q-signals and say "Hi Hi" instead of laughing. In one way or another, I think we are all jackasses.

4. KJ4NTV

KJ4NTV Ham Member QRZ Page

How about this, you do you man. Whatever you feel more comfortable with. The way I figure it, as long as it gets the message across that your looking on a frequency for a chat, doesnt matter how you say it. "This is ...(yourcall)..... bored and lonley looking for fun." I bet that one would liven up a repeater.

W6KCS likes this.
  5. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

i celebrate my own jackassery

W6KCS likes this.