Calling CQ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KG7FIU, Apr 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6 meter loop would perform far better than the vertical! Speaking from experience! 6 meters on my 43 foot vertical may have been just out of the noise. Switching to the horizontal loop S4 or better...

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate hearing ideas in the thread.

I thought I would add, our small town has a 6-meter repeater.

You could find out if you could get into any 6-meter repeaters.

3. W9WAF

W9WAF Ham Member QRZ Page

I was that new guy and out of a lot of people monitoring a repeater not a single one would even respond to tell me that it was making me look like a jackass. I have since then learned my lesson and don't call on repeaters if its a new guy please don't let it slide if its not custom to your area you should tell them it'll help in the long run and possibly make them a bit more confident with the radio.

The Local hams here do that and it seems to be fine normally throwing out your call and monitoring or listening will net you a QSO or two.

4. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

The first person that answered my call, in Montana, was in Canada.

Here, I think the radio amateurs in Canada are more friendly!

5. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

It wasn't you who was the jackass.

KC9UDX likes this.
  6. AC8AC

AC8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

thats right you were not the jackass .

7. KG5FCO

KG5FCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. I recently finished a long road trip. Every so often I would put a "monitoring" on .52. Never got a response. But now I know I wasn't breaking protocol.

After all the dead air, I will will respond to anyone putting out a "CQ" or "monitoring" and chat for a bit.

8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Things have not changed much since the 1970's - CQ has never really been acceptable on 2M FM. It just shouts " New guy here " LOL. If I am looking for a contact : kq0j listening on .52, anybody around( For a chat, for a test, for a signnal report ) ? Or if the band is up state my location too.

9. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CQ on .52 around where I live and someone usually answers. Bunch use it to rag chew off the repeater. Plus a bunch use it to work DX during band openings! I caught some tropo 2 weeks ago into Nebraska from SW MN on 146.52!

10. W9WAF

W9WAF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the reassurance, all the guys in the club are pretty cool and helpful once you actually go to a meeting and hang out for a while.