ad: BilalCo-1

Calling CQ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KG7FIU, Apr 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a fine line between the casual way in which we use repeaters and the gutter talk that comes from the CB world, and sometimes new comers certainly miss that line. It's one of the things that irritates the hell out of me, I have to make a mental note not to be an ass when it happens.

How I handle that depends on the operator, some are willing to listen and learn, others are offended that their CB persona is not welcomed in the ham radio world, usually the ones with that special voice they use when on the CB, along with the dirty brick amp.

I think the tech license is far to simple and consequently not respected by many of those who get one. 10 or 20 questions and a few bucks should not represent the door to this hobby.

I think it's ok if you call CQ, I think it's ok if you don't. But be polite is all I ask.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  2. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I just realized something, when I hear monitoring or listening I tend to think ok then you are monitoring or listening and that is all and why tell me or anyone you are doing that. I listen a lot but I don't tell people I am doing it, I bet we all do. And yet I have and do the exact same thing, when really I want to talk to someone.

When there is no activity on a repeater perhaps we should use CQ if we want to talk to someone.

For some reason we have removed the accepted and understood CQ and replaced it with alternatives, why have we done this?

This is AD5KO calling CQ.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  3. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

I use "monitoring" on repeaters to see if I'm hitting it. My elmer told me "cha-chunking" a repeater is a no-no.

I'm going on a road trip this weekend and I'm thinking about taking my HT along. Is there a frequency that is the equivelent of CB's ch 19 on 2m (or 222 or 440)?

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For FM operation: National simplex calling frequency for 6-meters is 52.525 MHz, for 2-meters is 146.520 MHz, for 1.25-meters 223.500 MHz, and for 70 cm 446.000 MHz.

Glen, K9STH

5. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If nobody calls CQ on 2m and above a lot of band openings get missed! Make noise! I was a few days ago and got into that 2 day stretch of tropo in the upper Midwest. Best contact wasn't super far, just 600 miles on 2 meters. But always fun to stretch the conditions as far as they will go even if it is 100 miles!

6. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

I say my callsign.

I say CQ if calling DX.

On FM repeater or simplex, I say my callsign, this is my callsign.

If I am calling someone in particular, I say my callsign calling their callsign.

At the end of the QSO, I sign off only saying my callsign.

I avoid long QSO's but nearing 10 minutes, I interject my callsign and keep going.

It is a requirement to say your callsign every 10 minutes, for a radio amateur, no matter what frequency or mode: FM, AM, SSB, or digital mode.

If I am on a designated "calling frequency" I like to QSY up or down.

If an emergency, however, even a tow truck can be an emergency at a remote location near a forest fire smoke, I stay on the designated "calling frequency" so everyone can hear the conversation, if they monitor the designated calling frequency.

My only concern if they have enough battery for the long drawn-out QSO.

If in doubt, I say I will be right here, or, standing by.

Regarding Q speak, I say QSY, even if it is FM. I say, to what frequency.

I find most people know QSY, some do not, but I say the frequency.

In addition, I hear many DX on HF work split: receive on one frequency and talk on another frequency often assumming you already know their standard up or down.

7. K9STH

AAT:

Calling CQ, on a supposedly dead band, is also a good idea for 6-meters and even for 10-meters. A LOT of band openings go unnoticed because everyone is listening and no one is transmitting.

Glen, K9STH

8. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've yet to hear anything but digital sounds (perhaps RITTY) on 6m in the 11 months I had my rig. This is a big disappointment, as I thought 6m was famous for it's tropo openings. I used to DX TV when I was a kid. The TV channels right next to 6m, 2 & 4 (we had a local on 3) sometimes yielded the most amazing DX. I logged Miami & Houston both on ch 2 from the N.E. suburbs of Cleveland along the shores of Lake Erie back in the 80's.

Maybe I need a different antenna. All I have now is an improperly mounted (i.e.in the attic) G5RV w/an MFJ antenna tuner.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with calling CQ on VHF/UHF FM rarely see the need for it at least in this area. Work mostly simplex on the FM portion of those bands and will say "This is K3XR listening on 146.52 or .52" for example. Why do I give the frequency....because many stations fixed stations in particular often monitor more than one frequency at a time and it's nice to let them know which band (freq) you're on. What I find most annoying is the clown that pushes the mic button and gives his call...nothing else what does that mean and how do even know it's his call of course often times when that takes place on a repeater the system has not been fully activated so you don't even get the entire call.

10. K9STH

AAT:

Yes! You definitely need a better antenna than a G5RV with mfj tuner! Methinks a 50-ohm dummy load might radiate better! :cool:

Even something simple, like a halo, or crossed dipoles, when mounted in the attic, would do much better.

Glen, K9STH