ad: k1jek

Calling CQ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KG7FIU, Apr 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Isn't that a one-way transmission? :eek:

2. KA0GKT

KA0GKT Ham Member QRZ Page

I will key the transmitter and intone "This is KAØGKT". Often I'll get an answer...Intone, I always liked that word...don't get a chance to use it as often as I'd like, though...

3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

On FM, calling CQ, especially on a repeater, is usually frowned upon because a lengthy CQ is just not normally needed. Virtually all FM is channelized and no one is having to "tune around" looking for someone with whom to have a QSO. As such, the receiving station is already tuned to the specific frequency and a lengthy call just wastes energy.

Within areas in which there are several repeaters, I have found it very handy to announce on just which repeater I am transmitting. This is because some operators have set their receivers to scan several frequencies and, when the signal is received, the exact frequency may not be known for a number of reasons. Giving the frequency, repeater name, etc., tells that operator which repeater (or simplex frequency) is being used and, as such, the appropriate transmitting frequency can be selected.

Although perfectly acceptable, by most operators, calling CQ on a simplex frequency is fine. However, when using FM, I normally say something like this when essentially calling CQ: Anyone around Five Two (if on 146.520 MHz)? This is K9STH calling. Or, for example, if I am using the Richardson Wireless Klub repeater (147.120 MHz output): Anyone around the RWK repeater? This is K9STH.

If mobile, I definitely add "mobile" to my call. This tells anyone listening that I may not be within range, of the repeater, etc., for that long. Doing so also gives an indication as to why my signal may be varying, chopping out, and so forth.

For SSB, and CW, calling CQ is definitely acceptable on any band. On the 160-meter through the 10-meter band, I always give my location as either "Richardson, Texas" or "near Dallas, Texas". On 6-meters and 2-meters, I give my location using the 4-digit Maidenhead locator (in my case, EM12) and on 222 MHz, and above frequencies, I give my location using the 6-digit Maidenhead locator (EM12px). Doing so gives a good target towards which directional antennas need to be directed.

Although "listening" or "monitoring" is often used to indicate that an operator is wanting to have a QSO, a strict interpretation of those terms does not indicate such. Also, quite a number of operators, when using FM, just state their call sign which, in many areas, indicates that the operator is wanting a QSO.

There are those operators who definitely get "their feathers ruffled" when someone doesn't exactly follow the "usual" procedures on a repeater, simplex frequency, etc. Unfortunately, a number, of those persons, often immediately chastise the "offending" operator, sometimes, in a not so polite manner. Frankly, those chastising operators really need to "chill out"! The only real thing that they are accomplishing is raising their own blood pressure!

Yes, in the vast number of locations, calling "CQ" on a repeater is considered improper. However, doing so does not call for the extreme chastising that a number of repeater users seem to impart upon the operator who "violated" the "accepted" procedure.

Glen, K9STH

W9ZEP and KG7FIU like this.
  4. WC3T

WC3T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for this thread. We are headed on a road trip this weekend and I'll be on .52 probably more often than not. Nice to hear the convention.

5. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

Calling CQ on a repeater shouldn't be an issue. My radio is usually scanning through a list of 20 repeaters (that are almost always silent unless the nightly weather-report-net is on). A long call ensures my scanning receiver will find you. Also, with some linked systems, the audio is quite bad. One of these repeaters is near me and some overseas / cross-nation stations are just hard to copy. So giving your call several times is a good thing.

Seek You still sounds like CQ so theres that.

6. AD5KO

AD5KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I call CQ in 2m FM and SSB, same for 6 and have had really nice responses to calling CQ on 2m FM, I think perhaps it just lightens peoples spirits a little.

I sometimes call CQ on a repeater for fun, if I'm in the mood. I am always trying not to laugh when I do it, and it is always well received. Sometimes people I have never talked to before will come back and say hello and they are as nice as can be. But of course everyone is amused, as they should be. Then there are the jokers who call contest contest, I have heard that while mobile and have burst out laughing. Which is a nice lift if I am tired or bored.

To the new guys I say it's far more important to be polite and operate a good station, other than that I think it's best not to take things to seriously, it's a hobby and should be fun.

W9AFB and KC9UDX like this.
  7. AD5KO

And I agree with that.

8. AD5KO

So true.

9. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, why not?

I always call CQ on a repeater, as well as on the 2m FM calling frequency (145.50 over here) . . . I've done it since the very first repeaters went on the air.

You obviously don't need a LONG call, as people are probably already listening on that channel.

The problem with 2m is that these days there are a lot of new licencees that start off on that band (sometimes after graduating from CB) . . . and they don't always know the proper conventions. And I'm sorry, I'm not going to let these new people try and change the established conventions!
    I'm sorry, that sounds like CB slang to me! A CQ call means you are looking for a QSO with ANYONE - that's always been the proper Amateur Radio procedure on ANY band. Don't let some ex-CBer tell you otherwise!

In terms of the original question, half the problem is that a lot of these new stations are afraid to have a proper QSO with someone they don't know! They just use 2m (or one of the UHF bands) to talk to their little group of friends.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  10. K5URU

K5URU Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, the current Technician exam question pool includes this question:

What brief statement is often transmitted in place of "CQ" to indicate that you are listening on a repeater?
    (Answer = Your call sign)

Of course, it doesn't forbid calling CQ in any way, but it does seem to imply that not calling CQ is a generally accepted practice (on repeaters). In my very limited experience as a licensed operator, I've spent a good bit of time on the local 2m & 70cm repeaters and have not yet heard anyone say "CQ." Most introductory calls that I've heard on repeaters in my region are either "<call sign>", "<call sign> Monitoring", or "<call sign> Listening".

I've yet to make a simplex contact on the NCF's (or any other frequency, for that matter) so I wouldn't know, but to me, CQ seems perfectly appropriate for simplex use.

-Blake