Calling CQ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KG7FIU, Apr 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I work a lot of 2 meter simplex because I'm always running back and forth between my QTH and Chicago. Kinda of prefer simplex operation unless I'm in range of a repeater where I have friends.

Here's how calling CQ works for me.

When I was a new ham (Might still be considered "new") there was some understandable confusion about the use of CQ on FM, and I asked around a bit. There's two answers- both good.

1. It's completely acceptable to call CQ and use CQ on FM simplex. Those who tell you it's not kosher are confusing repeater etiquette (where an extended call serves no purpose) with simplex operation (where an extended longer call gives you a better chance of making a contact).

2. Since there seems to be a lot of confusion, and sometimes reprimanding, for using "CQ" on a simplex call, I've compromised. On 2 meters (and two meters only) I make a longer call "This is ...... calling.... this is .... calling .... this is....". Usually repeating the call sign three times. And continuing to call as I move on down the road.

So using an extended call without the term CQ, has saved me from getting lectures. But the extended call ensures that a ham listening on a scanner might have a better chance of hearing your and getting to his or her radio. THAT scenario has played out many times for me. In fact while driving to W1AW I made a long QSO with a ham who had his 2 meter antenna up over 100 ft- but he heard me on a scanner first.

There's lots of hams listening on 2 meters (at least in the areas I drive) and if you call persistently on simplex, you will make contacts. There are probably some areas of the country where simplex activity has fallen so far that there really is nothing out there. But on my routes... you get activity if you work for it.

The really fun part of it is... sometimes you're the first person they have heard calling in a long time... so they are always happy to make the contact. Now I've got stations between my QTH and Chicago who listen for me on the weekends which means multiple contacts- and potentially friends :)

That's how it works for me.

2. N0VGL

N0VGL Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard a new ham do this on an otherwise normally "dead" repeater. Certainly livened things up. This thread kind of follows the threads about hams using usb on 75 and 40 meters and using CW all up and down the bands, in other words not sticking to accepted convention.

3. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, "monitoring" or "listening" is the convention. FM repeaters have good signal to noise ratio and people listening are typically parked on the frequency so repeating a CQ call over and over would be annoying, unlike on HF where you need to attract someone's attention.

But there is no real reason one can't say a short "CQ CQ from (your call)". If you do use CQ, be prepared for "that guy" who will tell you it's taboo and the ham radio gods are displeased!

4. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone calling CQ on FM doesn't bother me at all, it's kind of funny in a way. I just assume it's a new guy, and I am always happy when new guys get on the air. It's only annoying when they do the "...CQ, CQ, calling CQ Two meters..." (in case I don't know what band I'm on) every thirty seconds. I've never heard anyone bothered by a short CQ.

5. K5GHS

K5GHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I call CQ on .52 and SSB all the time.

On a repeater though....usually you ID and say you're monitoring or mobile. Just the way it works.

I even answered a CQ on packet a few weeks ago!

6. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't assume its a new guy, just because he sends out a CQ on 2 Meters. If your working a repeater, your bound by the rules of the repeater owner. But when your running CW, AM, SSB, for FM simplex on 2 Meters, why not? A CQ has worked for me for the past 50 years and still means the same thing.

2W0ENA likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. 'Seeking YOU' is the way I figure it.

8. W6KCS

The point of my post, actually.

9. W6KCS

Actually the more I think about it, it makes a lot more sense than "monitoring".

10. AC8AC

AC8AC Ham Member QRZ Page

cq away the way i see it on a repeater ill just cq and call sign once . but simplex any frequency usually 3 times as in alot of cases you copy may be weak . it seems alot of the old methods have lost there use i dont know why

when someone says monitoring ill come back with let me know when you want to talk hahaha . then thell ask why i said that then ill tell them if you want to talk to anyone just call cq . oddly enough when i started that alot more people started CQing . hay im doing my part to bring the cq movement back

AD5KO likes this.