Calling CQ?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KG7FIU, Apr 12, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, sorry if this is a dumb question. But I never hear anyone say "CQ" on 2 meters, so I'm presuming it's "not kosher" to call CQ on VHF the way folks generally do on HF.
    Why is this? Is there some historical precedent for the way things are?

If one just wants to chat with any station (or try to contact a "DX" station), what should one do?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I call CQ CW and SSB on 144.200 all the time! And I should add I almost always get a reply - granted from someone I've worked a zillion times although once in a great while I randomly get a new grid but that's not very often.

But yes - it works on CW and SSB just fine and is the norm.

If you mean FM, the usual protocol is to say "KG7FIU monitoring" unless you're on Simplex. It's just not done on repeaters, and on simplex generally only when there's an event involved - contest, SOTA, IOTA, or something similar like that. If not, use the same protocol as for repeaters: "KG7FIU monitoring". You can also ask for a radio check, audio report, or "is this thing working?" all followed with your call sign. Often when I'm mobile I'll get on 52 simplex and say something like "If anyone can hear me this is Dave W7UUU winding down highway 20 next to the river" - gives the impression to anyone listening that I'd really like a short chat... works very well this way too.

Dave
    W7UUU

KD8ZUW likes this.
  3. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, thanks for the info. Dave!

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't call CQ on 2m cause someone might come back to me and then I wouldn't know what to say.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

W8EI likes this.
  5. KJ4TX

KJ4TX Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't really care where I am on 2 meters or 70 cm, I'll call CQ if I want to talk to someone. Personally I think it's silly all of these people that are "monitoring" a frequency on 2 meters and above. To me it just means they are listening and don't want to talk but they want people to know they are listening. I guess they have the hall pass duty or something. ;)

I've never had anyone tell me I couldn't call CQ on SSB or FM and I've not seen it in the rules that you can't.

Mike

6. M0TGK

M0TGK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's easy, when they come back to you ignore them, unless they're one of your friends. /s

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

"Do you know Vanna?" is a conversation starter.

8. W9CLL

W9CLL Ham Member QRZ Page

I will call CQ on .52 often and generally there are no responses but sometimes you get surprised

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I used to do that every night. I might even have you in the log.

I don't anymore because I sold the radio I used that was convenient for that, and, I work different hours now. Plus, there's a local group that owns that frequency now. :rolleyes:

I still maintain the best (sometimes only) way to get a response on a "dead" repeater is to call CQ (especially with a corny roger beep). There is almost always a pileup of complainers. It sure isn't a pleasant response, but it's a response.

10. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Do it. Call CQ and listen, the same way you would on HF. Just don't do it on a repeater.