calling CQ on echolink

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by W8PLB, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N4FCR

N4FCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey folks, New Ham here, and very interested in Echo Link. I can connect to Echo Link repeater from my computer and phone just fine.

My Question is from my radio Yaesu ft2900r how do I key the repeater? In the manual it mentions that I have to enter an access number? while using the int function? Where do I find the access number? Is that referring to the node number?

73's
    Fred

2. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I assume this is a local repeater?

You don't have to do anything special - use the repeater like you would any other. If it's already linked to someplace else, try to leave longer breaks between transmissions, to allow the Internet links to catch up.

Now, if you are on the repeater and would like to use the EchoLink on the repeater to open a connection to a distant machine, the normal process is to punch in the number for the node you desire. When you are done, you need to remember to disconnect, which is the # by default. However, all of these commands can be changed, and often are. It's a very good idea to talk to the sysop who owns the EchoLink gateway, or someone associated with it, before trying to use it, to find out if there are any special commands involved. Also, just as some repeaters are private, some EchoLink nodes are, too.

http://www.echolink.org/Help/default.htm

3. N4FCR

It is a local repeater I was trying to key from my radio. I had a friend that was connected to it via Echo Link and I could hear him just fine on my radio. Though he could not hear me, because my radio would not key the repeater.

With the Yaesu 2900 I think I have to be in "internet" mode? The small red button on the front. The manual said I'd have to enter some code.

[​IMG]

any help or insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

Also thanks for the link, I have been looking for a user guide, for some reason I could only find the trouble shooting guide on the echo link site.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it depends. Problem is, is that each system owner may have their system set up differently. The first thing to do is try to look up the repeater online for a list of access codes (if any).

Alternatively, you could call on the repeater for a control operator, or simply ask what is needed to access Echolink.

When traveling, I sometimes just enter the node number... if it doesn't work, I play the dumb tourist and go "hmmm... guess Echolink needs an access code" I ID, then shut up.... sometimes someone comes back to me and tells me what I need to know.

In many cases, all you need to do is key in the Node number; but again, each system is different.

5. N4FCR

I'll try that John. Thanks again for the insight! :D Hope you guys have a Merry Christmas!

6. KD8DVR

KD8DVR Ham Member QRZ Page

You are welcome.. Merry Christmas to you too :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.