calling CQ on echolink

Discussion in 'Echolink/IRLP Tech Board' started by W8PLB, Oct 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8PLB

W8PLB Ham Member QRZ Page

hey all, another possibly dumb question. do you call CQ on echolink if you don't care who you talk to or do you say something else?

2. KJ6EZQ

KJ6EZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

You could call CQ. Or you could just ask if anyone is listening. Generally plain English is recommended.

If you mention that you're talking via Echolink that would be preferred.

3. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't that question on the Tech test?

4. KD8NPB

KD8NPB Ham Member QRZ Page

If I'm working off a computer through echolink to repeaters, I usually just say:

"KD8NPB, Kilo Delta Eight November Papa Bravo monitoring via Echolink"

And that's usually more than enough.

5. ZL3GSL

ZL3GSL Ham Member QRZ Page

... and if you mention where you are calling from you might provoke an answer from someone who missed your callsign. "CQ" does give the implication that you are activating the repeater from "DX", whereas "<callsign> listening" is a local convention.

"Whatever you're happy with" should be fine. "The Radio Amateur is ... friendly", isn't he? It says so on the 6th page of the ARRL Handbook, so it must be true. ;)

6. W8PLB

is this ok?

i will sometimes say "kd8oqm monitoring via echolink". will that work? i think it will because i said that on the florida echolink node in miami and someone said " Echolink station, echolink station". has that worked for you? i am not on the computer, but on my radio.

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep - that should work just fine.

Some nodes will give you a voice announcement suggesting that you call CQ.
    When in Rome...

8. W8PLB

... do as the Romans do. :D

9. AC8JD

AC8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I always do the following...

CQ CQ CQ. KD8OOZ calling CQ from Michigan via Echolink, CQ CQ CQ. I usually say it in a faster pace than if I were on HF and drawing it out.

IF you want to have some good rag chewing call the Nodes in Australia. Those guys love it when Americans call them... they will even tell you that. I'm not sure why, but they love when we call and they love to talk ham radio.

10. W8PLB

what the heck????????????????????????

i was denied access to a node in florida yesterday, does anyone know why or how it happened?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.