Calling CQ but not wanting a call

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7XI, Nov 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

On point, thank you Nate.

There are a few circumstances that present such issues in amateur radio. Firstly, it's one of the few hobbies that requires a license. I can't think of many hobbies that are regulated in such a way, save perhaps recreational firearm shooting, including hunting (and those licenses are far less difficult to obtain than an amateur radio license!). There are others for sure (fishing), but while amateur radio is also a hobby regulated by the federal government, "misdemeanor" behavior like poor on air operating discussed here isn't really penalized or enforced against.

So it comes back to human psychology; human nature becomes harder to regulate the harder we try to regulate it. In some ways ham radio (as evidenced by Nate's signature) is really just one of the first iterations of social media. We'd like to believe in and adhere to a higher code of conduct, but there are the occasional operators who may as well be on Facebook or Twitter. Modern social media has a different set of rules in general; Twitter mandates 140 characters, which is kind of like a band restriction. But it's otherwise a free-for-all through which people express themselves with no licensing required. All that's required to operate on social media is a device and an opinion.

Amateur radio requires a device and an opinion, but also a lot more training- studying, licensing, technical knowledge of antennas, propagation, etc... It's also relatively expensive. These aspects alone eliminate a lot of people before they even join and cause problems (if they even had an inkling of desire to join ham radio). But they can't eliminate human nature and that's just something for which I doubt there is a "solution."

Even though the amateur radio exams may not be as difficult as they once were (they were difficult for me) and there is no CW requirement now, there still is a pretty steep minimum barrier to entry. So it's really incumbent upon hams to uphold the values and ethics we hold dear to this hobby. Hams must lead by example and involvement; we can't just be frustrated. It's no different than our democratic process- if we want something changed we have to be involved. We can't just say the system is rigged; we have to vote and then do more. Hams must operate as individuals in the fashion we'd like to see ham radio operate collectively.

I'm a new ham but I'm not a kid. I have been interested in ham radio since I was a kid, and I've read about it, studied it, and listened to SW for years before I ever got licensed. I made the choice to become licensed partly because I've always been interested, but I also accepted a personal challenge to myself to dive into something that I thought was over my head technically. Many aspects of amateur radio are over my head, but I'm learning- by choice. So the choice is there for all hams to continue to mold the developing hobby into one that is progressive, but still respects the reasons and traditions that drew us to it.

N0NB and N0TZU like this.
  2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I generally do not answer Canadians calling CQDX either, but...

A couple of years ago we went "leafing" through New England but we actually started in Quebec where French is the official language. Most of them actually do speak English but they prefer not to and they also do not want you butchering their language. It has been said that the people in France are rude to tourists and especially to Americans, but with all due respect to my VE/VA2 friends, we were much better received and had an easier time navigating through France than we did in Quebec!

So let me tell you, even though Canada is just across the border, it is just as much a foreign country as any other DX station!

WA9JOQ likes this.
  3. KI4ODO

KI4ODO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ahh,,,gotcha

4. N4IAG

N4IAG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I sometimes hear Puerto Rico stations calling CQ DX. Who are they calling? I can't believe that they're bombarded with calls from other Puerto Rican stations to be calling DX only, so what countries do they consider DX?

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I can only speak for myself but in the rare cases when I call CQ DX I'm hoping for something other than the US mainland. If I don't hear any dx-dx then I'll just work the US stations. I don't chew anybody out for calling.

6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Probably anything other than the 30 Caribbean island entities. :)

7. WE5N

WE5N XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have hearf him before, listened to him and he made a contact which was a long contact over the poles i think. Was definitely a cool dx to contact. If you know their callsign, look it up. If they are in the US and you live in the US he is specifically telling you he does not want a local contact. I think it is actually a recording because i have heard it many times... Just reapect his cq call and go somewhere else. You will have better luck with someone who wants to talk...

I wouldn't take it personal..

Prosise

8. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not necessarily. Many of those entities are too CLOSE for easy contacts on the upper bands! I finally managed to get St. Barts just the other day with TO2EE and he was as weak as any Pacific island!

9. VE3KDO

VE3KDO Ham Member QRZ Page

On one of the lessons on my study guide it says: If a station is calling cq dx anywhere from the United States or Canada don't answer it because you are not dx.

W4IOA likes this.
  10. N4IAG

N4IAG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks. That's what I figured, but it's always good to hear it straight from the horse's mouth. :)