Calling CQ but not wanting a call

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7XI, Nov 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

Who says DX means out of the country?

From the QRZ dictionary: "Long distance; making contacts over long distances. For HF contacts, "DX" is typically considered as such if the station contacted is outside of your country. In some other cases, making a contact over what is considered extremely long distances (for the conditions and band) can be considered "DX" (i.e., a QSO from one end of a state to another, on 2 meters simplex, can be considered "'DX")."

So if I was in Key West and calling CQDX and got an answer from someone in Washington State, that works for me.

W4KSL and AF7XI like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently you are somewhat new to the hobby and it's great that you ask questions but just curious what YOU thought the station meant when he said "calling CQ DX" ?

AF7XI likes this.
  3. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I totally agree. The original fault was mine.

If I was in his situation, and continually endured domestic interruptions when running my recorded audio, I would record a new audio adding in a 3 second clarifying "no North American calls" or something of that nature. However seemingly unnecessary to longtime hams, it would help advance good on-air manners and operating ethics. My observation is that some hams out there think all hams, even new ones, should know and understand the same things someone who has been on the air for 40 years knows by experience. I say this in full confidence that I'm striving each day to "do things the right way" so I don't feel the need to defend my remarks.

4. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it possible he was just making noise to see where he showed up on the reverse beacon network or some such thing?

5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Might work for you, but it would still be poor manners on HF.

On VHF, "DX" takes on different meaning and very few VHF-UHF operators ever call for "DX." When 6m is open, you might hear it sometimes. On 2m or above, it's about unheard of.

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No, you're doing fine.

IMO, what changed over the years is this:

Many years ago (like when I was a kid and new ham starting out), almost every new ham had already spent a lot of time shortwave listening, including listening to the HF ham bands, and hearing hundreds, maybe thousands of QSOs before they ever even took an amateur exam. So, "protocol," right or wrong, was something they (we) were already pretty familiar with.

That isn't happening much today, and a lot of new hams haven't even heard any ham QSOs before they were licensed, so they're really starting out from ground zero.

To me, this isn't good or bad, it's just the way it is.

WA7PRC, NK2U, G0JUR and 2 others like this.
  7. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Does that work for phone? I thought that was a technique for CW propagation. Never tried it myself.

8. AF7XI

When I heard the rote manner in which he offered CQ and he mentioned that he was checking propagation, I honestly thought he was just checking propagation, perhaps in advance of a contest. I simply wanted to offer him a signal report from the the Southwest.

Benign mistake on my part, from which I've unequivocally learned.

WJ4U likes this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That seems reasonable under the circumstances.

AF7XI likes this.
  10. AF7XI

I actually think some sort of QSO listening portion of the Tech and/or General exams would be valuable. The typical study guides don't really delve into proper on air operation. Even the numerous amateur operations books and YouTubes I've combed through only pay passing reference, and then of course not to every conceivable scenario.

In the meantime, as pointed out above, listening is the best education. And of course, asking questions here!