Calling CQ but not wanting a call

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AF7XI, Nov 29, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard a US domestic station on 20m today extensively "calling CQ DX, operating portable, checking propagation, and listening for a call." He repeated his CQ call for approximately 45 seconds at a time. No responses audible after many minutes.

I answered with my call and I heard an angry voice saying "Listen people!"

The original sign again went through his excessively repetitive call. I didn't hear anything so I offered my call again when he was finished.

The CQ caller then went on an angry diatribe saying "I'll say it again although my advice seems to be futile. Don't answer unless you know what you are doing." A couple other hams answered as well and this guy continued his rant that he didn't want anyone to respond to him.

What protocol did I breach? I've never experienced such a situation. I now assume he was hunting down a rare DX station? Since he was using voice, it seems to me if he was going through such a long CQ preamble he could probably offer a snippet about what he actually desired to hear.

Eager to learn...

K8AI and WB8NUT like this.
  2. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you ran into a flaming a$$hole.

Berj / KI3U

K8AI, K3EY, N1VAU and 12 others like this.
  3. W4KSL

W4KSL Ham Member QRZ Page

CQ DX Probably wanting out of country contacts only.

Or
    14.313 ?

WD4IGX, KX4O, WQ4G and 3 others like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

You forgot to put on your mind-reading hat, so that you'd know he didn't REALLY want to work anyone, just tie up the frequency and be noticed.

Or to put it another way, I'd give good odds that he's off his meds.

Ignore. Spin the dial. He's not worth it.

K8AI, KA4DPO and AF7XI like this.
  5. W2NAP

W2NAP Ham Member QRZ Page

well, CQ DX= looking for stations outside of the USA.

It bugs the crap out of me when im on JT65 and calling CQ DX and some US station tries to answer me.

WW2PT, WD8T, ND6M and 5 others like this.
  6. AF7XI

That's my first reaction but it's highly probable there is some other reason. I just want to make sure I'm not breaching an amateur radio procedure. I waited really patiently before answering his call and was met with the "terse" response.

7. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

All he had to say was "DX only please, nothing personal". That is why he was calling "CQ DX"

Going off on the callers the way you described, though, is not excusable. Even if it is annoying.

K8AI, WA8FOZ, WD4IGX and 8 others like this.
  8. AF7XI

Fair enough. As a new ham I consider myself educated. That said, he had a special call that included "operating mobile" which to my less experienced self made it slightly unclear where he was operating from. My mistake.

It wouldn't seem too much for the guy to mention his exact intention in his CQ DX call. His angry response was clearly as a result of many hams not adhering to the intention of his call. Considering his 45 second CQ call, he could have added in "only interested in stations outside the USA."

No matter. I appreciate the advice so I can avoid making the same mistake again.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
    KA4DPO likes this.
  9. G0JUR

G0JUR Ham Member QRZ Page

The fact that you are not what he considers DX may have something to do with it, these days anyone having the gall to respond to a SEECUUUUEEE DX when they aint DX is likely to be lambasted for it.
    Make note of his callsign and forevermore ignore it.

WQ4G, K9ASE and AF7XI like this.
  10. AF7XI

A few callers blasted him for being a jerk.

But now I do truly understand his frustration; although his conduct isn't what I'd call admirable ham behavior, I get it. Good learning experience.

KA4DPO likes this.