ad: BilalCo-1

CALL SIGN PHONETICS SLOWLY ! PLEASE

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K5UPI, Mar 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K5UPI

K5UPI Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of us OLD TIMERS have hearing problems. PLEASE give your call sign phonetics a bit slower. Thanks K5UPI:confused::confused:

2. KR2C

KR2C Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Being from the North East, I tend to speak a little quicker than some or our more slower paced areas of the country. Speaking slower was something that I had to teach myself to do so that I didn't end up repeating myself too often. I even got some 59 reports after having to repead my call a couple of times. :)

3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of us don't write or type so fast either.

We have the same trouble running our weekly net. The net ops are finally catching on to remind the participants to say their call sign slowly, and include their first name.

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You'd probably hear them better without phonetics. I know I usually do.

I hear calls with phonetics fine if really excellent phonetics are used. But not the usual ICAO ones, which are really hard to hear when a signal's in the noise or the operator has an accent.

If you gave me "Kilo 5 Uniform Papa India," I'd almost assuredly not hear the "India" part. It's a crappy phonetic. If you gave me "Kilowatt 5 United Portugal Italy" I'd get it.

5. G0GQK

G0GQK Ham Member QRZ Page

I use PSK so don't listen much these days to talkers, not been much to listen to recently. but I listened to a chap in the US using a Kw, I thought he was strong, and it took me 15 minutes before I could understand his call. I understood everything else he said, even though he was an American (he he) These fella's from places who don't normally speak English, talk bad English too quickly. We are in the communication hobby, if people don't understand what we say then we are not communicating.

Its the same when people are using CW, their sending is a bit... well, you know, until its time to send their call and then they rattle it off like a shot from a gun.

6. K1DNR

K1DNR Ham Member QRZ Page

Using standard phonetics is helpful.
    Alpha Echo 2 Charlie Sierra.
    Not ABLE, not AMERICA: ALPHA. Not EASY: ECHO. Not CANADA: CHARLIE. Not Spain, not Sugar, not Santiago, not Sh*thead: SIERRA.

:D

My elmer's old call was W1WEM - Whiskey Every Morning. But he saved those phonetics for his long time buddies on the AM nets and local VHF repeaters.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

'Sfunny, I disagree entirely with that. The ICAO phonetics are mostly horrible when conditions are bad. Listen to what top-gun contesters use and they mostly use what actually works, based on a million contacts' worth of experience.

Phonetics that don't emphasize the long version of the vowels aren't as effective as ones that do; and using city and country names that are easily recognizable work way better than other stuff when you're working DX.

I've tried to use Whiskey Bravo Two Whiskey India Kilo (ICAO phonetics) to break pileups thousands of times, and had to resort to Washington Brazil Two Washington Italy Kilowatt to actually get through and make the contact. That violates the ICAO phonetics, but it's what actually works. "More syllables" in phonetics works better than fewer syllables, as it provides the chance for the data to get through in QRM and QSB.

I've found "Echo" to be a terrible phonetic. Almost nobody gets it unless they're English speaking and signals are pretty good. "England" gets through way better.

I've also found "Sierra" to be a terrible phonetic. Half the world can barely pronounce it. If I switch to "Santiago," bingo.

8. NY7N

NY7N Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeppers. I find "Whiskey" seems to work okay, but nine times out of ten I use "Japan" instead of "Juliet" because it's faster to say and more easily understood. I find sometimes "Alpha" gets confused for "Echo" and when that happens I use "America." Works every time.

There's a time and place for switching up phoenetics.

9. KD0BSY

KD0BSY Ham Member QRZ Page

For some reason people have a hard time with my last letter...yankee! yellow! yemen! Y!

X-ray?....Arrgg!

One recent dxpedition even seems to have left it out altogether in their online log.

At least I'm still 5-9!:D

George

10. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I gave up on ICAO phonetics the first time I tried use my current call in a contest.

By the time I get through November November Four . . . everyone else is already finished and the DX has already answered someone else.

Norway Norway Four is 30% shorter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.