Call Sign on plain piece of paper???

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W1SWR, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim, you said quite elegantly what I was saying sardonically. "Think! You are the best security device."

de Jerry

2. AC2FO

AC2FO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You are 100% wrong, the new scam is for the Scammers to make QRZ accounts for Hams who don't have a QRZ account, then impersonate them. I have tried for a k3 and all 3 sellers had brand new QRZ Accounts and all of them requested Bank Transfer, and not one of them could answer an actual question of the radio

Now they take a picture with a callsign and radio, but that person is not who they say they are.

This is one guy who is scamming people he wants Bank Transfer anyone who asks for Bank Transfer is a scam artist plain and simple.

http://forum.internet-radio.com/volunteering/14922-radios-sale-cheap-prices-w5apf-aol-com.html

Here is his Reply email

Yeah , the k3 and p3 is still available for sale.

Below is the complete list of options:
    K3/100 - 100w Transceiver ......KBPF3 - gen coverage bandpass filter
    KDVR3 - digital voice recorder......KFL3A-500 - 500hz cw filter
    KFL3A-6K - 6khz AM filter..........KFL3B-FM - 13 khz FM filter
    KRX3- second receiver.......KTCXO3-1 - TCXO 0.5PPM
    KXV3A - K3 rx ant,IF out, Xvtr interface.....MH2 - Hand Mic
    P3- Panadapter

Kindly get back with name and address for shipping.

Payment is via Bank Transfer.

David Brown
    w5apf@aol.com

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Or, you are confusing two issues.

In other words, QRZ's strategy worked 100%. That picture proves the person (albeit a scammer) actually had the radio in their possession when they took the picture.

How do you propose to solve this issue? By not requiring a callsign to be in the picture? Or to require a copy of the license (do we really want the scammers forging those too?) in the picture?

It seems to me everything is okay here. A little common sense fills in the holes the scammers are squeaking through. If the seller has a new QRZ account, either avoid them, or contact them outside QRZ. The ultimate solution would be for QRZ to not allow swapmeet posts by hams with new QRZ accounts. Do we really want that? There are a lot of long-time amateurs who aren't long-time QRZ users. Should they be banned from selling here?

4. K5HS

K5HS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about others, but I don't have any paper QSL cards(other than one or two with my first call on them).

I use electronic logging and qsl exchange. I suppose for those dx stations that require money and direct to verify, I would need to print some.

I would be OK with including a copy of my license, although showing my address would give me some concern.Yes I know you can look it up via FCC ULS, but why make it easy.

I have actually had more phishing scams when I posted on CraigsList with for sale items.

5. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Are there more scams, or does the internet better publicize scams.

I've been at hamfests where crooks tried to sell stolen gear back to the rightful owner and where a vender claimed that a rusty piece of junk was a radio recovered from the wreck of the USS Arizona.

In the HTYS days, scamming didn't move at the speed of the internet; it moved at the speed of the USPS. Even in those pre-internet days, there were multiple proposals for escrow services that would even check-out the gear before releasing the funds.

It's like President Reagan said during the SALT talks, "Trust and verify".

It there wasn't a prudent degree of trust, the world would grind to a halt.

N9LCD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.