Call Sign on plain piece of paper???

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W1SWR, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W4DLE

W4DLE Ham Member QRZ Page

I tend to believe there are less scammers out there than you think. I have bought and sold hundreds of items in good faith. I own thousands of dollars of bass guitars and gear. Every piece was bought by sending a check to some guy I found on a forum and he shipped me the gear. Most of them go out of their way to see to it that I am happy. I have even gotten pictures of packages being handed to people at the UPS store sent to me via phone text (a shipping "selfie" if you will).

Also, of all the crowds I have dealt with in the many hobbies/careers I have participated in, ham guys seem to be the most stand up crowd of them all. I am sorry that you have obviously has the opposite experience.

If you don't mind sharing, how have you been scammed in the past?

Also, if you do have a call sign on a piece of paper in a pic contained within a sale post, it would be stupid simple to contact the guy via other sources. The FCC puts all of our business on the web for everyone to see. You give me a call sign, and more often than not I will have a phone number for you in a matter of seconds. The interwebs are powerful. So, it should be easy enough to follow up on anyone with whom you would do business.

2. K9XR

K9XR Ham Member QRZ Page

FWIW, There was a guy posing as a KB1 that showed a qsl card. Guess what? It was a scammer that placed the ad. I don't know how he did it but he did it. Maybe he had the gear and sold it multiple times. I don't remember exactly what happened. Once again, using a little common sense goes a LONG WAY. People just don't GIVE stuff away!

3. NE2X

NE2X Ham Member QRZ Page

I think a QSL card nd the sellers license should be in the picture...You know, the wallet sized one...

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I agree, if he's selling QSL cards and his licence...

WB0MPB likes this.
  5. W6GQ

W6GQ Swap Meet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

;) :p :cool:

6. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

Honestly, has anybody given any thought to how easy it is for a scammer to counterfeit a QSL card? I'm not giving any crook the "how to" information, but, if they can make d.i.y. "C" notes. why not QSL cards?

7. NE2X

NE2X Ham Member QRZ Page

I still like the License in the picture....

8. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The issue is, scammers "steal" photos from elsewhere on the Internet and put them in their ad to try to get people to think they actually have the piece of equipment in question. The requirement to ad a call sign to the photo itself and make it physically present with said piece of equipment is one way to ensure that doesn't happen as often. Is it perfect? No. Nothing is. Even with your solution, there are sites out there that allow you to print a non-official duplicate of an amateur radio license. And, lots of people print their own QSL cards so it's easy to just print one. But having the actual written call in the picture is just one tool toward reducing scams.

The best tool to reduce scams is not anywhere on this site, rather, it is on the other end of the keyboard with the buyer: be smart. Look for red flags. If it seems too good to be true or doesn't pass the "smell test," walk away.

I said this in another thread but it bears repeating: buyers are just as responsible for knowing the rules of the site as the sellers. If you see someone not following the rules (like having no picture or posting a picture with the call sign not physically present with the piece of equipment in question) and the moderators have not yet deleted or otherwise taken action on the ad, don't respond to the ad; you're just asking for trouble.

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Let's make them want to counterfeit our licences! :p

10. VK5FPAC

VK5FPAC Ham Member QRZ Page

I always get a seller to take a picture with either text or my numbers either written and displayed with the item I asked for on it's display.

The sale does not proceed until I know the item is real with my signature items displayed on and with the equipment.

I once had a guy say it was new in the box! He said it was unopened but when he opened it finally to display it and take a picture of it with my requested items!

Well well well the box was empty! DOH!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.