ad: elecraft

Call Sign on plain piece of paper???

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W1SWR, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1SWR

W1SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

With all the scams going on do you think a call sign on a plain piece of paper is good.
    Not in my eyes. You may be legal, but if it's a good QSL card then i might be more inclined to believe it.

Sorry to see this hobby all coming down to non trust. The Hobby has gone to hell.
    Buying and selling is no longer fun.

I only like to do Pay Pal or local dealings now.

It's ashamed that it has come to this.

2. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Steve,
    99% of the time a scammer does not have the actual equipment that is being offered. He steals photos of the gear from the internet and posts the pictures as if they were taken by him. Now if the photo contains a physical call sign, whether it be on paper or a QSL card, that photo is pretty useless to him.

I agree with you on the use of PayPal. It has bailed me out 3 times now over the years.

3. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought it was more about using the pictures in a legitimate FS on QRZ somewhere else by someone else. Or possibly reversing by using the picture from elsewhere here by a scammer. That seems the least likely, but I don't follow all FS threads. At least that is my take on the requirement. I put my call sign as a 60% watermark in red across the picture(s) corner to corner. Would that work for you? Never seemed to have issue with my FS other than price. :cool:

4. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No the watermark will not work. Not to terribly difficult for a scammer to edit out a watermark or a digital call sign embedded in the picture. Please make it a physical call sign or QSL card in the shot.

5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't understand the problem.

The point is, as I understand it, that you want to see the picture that the seller took, and the way to prove this is that the seller took a picture with his callsign in the picture. A "watermark" is not the same. Anyone can download a picture from anywhere and put a "watermark" on it.

If someone takes a picture with their callsign written on a piece of paper, it's obvious that they took the picture, and that the picture is of the object they are selling. At least, ideally. It's hard to fake embedding a picture of a piece of paper with a callsign on it into a downloaded picture.

Why it has to be a QSL card makes no sense to me. If you're worried that someone scribbled someone else's callsign on a piece of paper to portend to be that person, then why couldn't they just as easily have a QSL card printed, stolen, or what have you?

I use a piece of steel that I cut outlines of the letters of my callsign out from. Would you accept that? Answer honestly. I'm guessing you would, because it looks like something someone took a lot of time or money to buy or make, just like a QSL card. But, the fact of the matter is, it took me roughly the same effort to make that as it would for me to write my callsign on a piece of paper. I could make one with your callsign, or anyone else's just as easily. The bottom line is, including it in the picture proves I took the picture of the item for sale.

I even once included my callsign in the LCD display of an item I was selling. This not only proves I didn't download the picture, it proved the item worked. Sure, you can go to images.google.com and find that picture and download it and use it yourself to say you took the picture of that item. Very easily. But, unless I lose my callsign, and you obtain it, it would be hard to explain!

6. N2ADV

N2ADV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why bother with the rule as it appears to be enforced? People adding multiple pics only have one with their call and the rest without... So scammers can just decide to not pick that one with the call in it. Doesn't seem to do much that way.

7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Again, the way I understand it, this has nothing to do with other people (scammers) re-using pictures from the forum here.

It's about proving the item for sale here is not a stolen photo. Several views of the same object with the same surroundings, so long as one has the callsign in it, usually prove the pictures were taken by the person holding that callsign, selling the item here.

Maybe I'm wrong though, but that makes the most sense to me. You can put twenty QSL cards in one photo of an item, and if some scammer steals that picture, all they have to do is put cut-and-paste flowers and leaves over all the QSL cards. It's all but impossible to prevent some scammer stealing a picture and using it in a scam. It's relatively easy to prove that someone selling here (who is logged in with their callsign) is selling the item pictured, if their callsign appears in the scene.

8. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be some misunderstanding about the primary purpose of the callsign in the photo rule. It is not to limit the number of photos available to scammers. It is simply to verify that the seller actually had possession of the radio when the photo was taken. A scammer usually doesn't. It doesn't matter if the callsign is in only one or all of the posted photos so long as the callsign photo shows the item being sold. A careful re-reading of Fred's sticky might be in order.

9. KK4HWS

KK4HWS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is just my opinion & maybe I'm over thinking this but... If you are required to have a "legitimate" call sign (which is easy to verify) to be a member of the forum & post an ad, why would you go to all the trouble & risk of trying to scam someone on QRZ when you could use much more "anonymous" websites & forums to scam someone? If I was a crook trying to rip someone off, it wouldn't be here! To me, that would be like trying to steal a cop's wallet at a police convention! :)

10. KN7S

Keep in mind that in many cases the call signs are legitimate, and I'm sure that in the vast majority of cases the licensed Ham is a good character, but the scammers have committed identity theft by stealing the account and posting here and other places. That is many times the case. Yet another good reason for changing your password now and again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.