Call Sign Competition

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6ZD, Jun 27, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6ZD

W6ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If there is “competition” for a vanity call sign when is the determination of who is assigned the call sign made? Is it on the FCC process date or some other date?

Jim C
    K4BYB

2. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

All things being equal i.e. submission date, etc, it is just a random lottery with no preference given to one station above another.

I suggest visiting the AE7Q.com web site and learning about the process if you are looking for a particular call.

AI7PM and W0AQ like this.
  3. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jim,

It's the FCC Process Date.

Sounds like you've already found Dean's site - the Holy Grail for all things vanity call related:

http://ae7q.com/query/

Regards,
    -Bruce

WQ2H, WZ7U and W6ZD like this.
  4. W6ZD

It’s a great site.
    I have one call sign in competition and another lower on my application for which I am the only applicant. Either way it appears I will be granted a 1x2 call sign but don’t really understand the FCC process.
    Thanks.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Captain Random WINS every time :)

Dave
    W7UUU

W2AI likes this.
  6. W6ZD

I understand the random selection, but when does that happen?

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

30(?) days from when the application date first opens. But don't quote me on that - pretty sure though

Their purpose is to allow those without internet access to get their applications in via "snail mail"

Dave
    W7UUU

WQ4G likes this.
  8. KU4X

As Jeff mentioned above, all things being equal, it's a random lottery.
    The process date is set to be 18 days after a call becomes available. Sometimes it is longer due to Federal holidays being mixed in. The 18 day period was set back in the days of snail-mail to allow fairness for all applications to be received prior to the lottery. And yes, an application for a vanity call can still be submitted via the postal service.

Hope this clears it up for you.

Regards,
    -Bruce

W0AQ, WE4B and W6ZD like this.
  9. W6ZD

Thanks.

10. KU4X

While Major Nonsense prevails here at the Zed. :rolleyes:

Regards,
    -Bruce

K7MH, WA9SVD, K3XR and 4 others like this.