Call sign change for Extra Class

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KJ6HYC, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N5SZJ

N5SZJ Guest

Thanks all for the pointers and great info. Appreciate it!

regards,
    John N5SZJ

2. KM5ART

KM5ART Ham Member QRZ Page

I shall add a stupid question. I already have a vanity call, when I upgrade to Extra am I going to lose my current call sign?

3. W5RB

W5RB Guest

Your call will remain the same 'til Field Day of 2020 , unless you take some action to change it before that . At renewal time , you'll have the option to pay the vanity fee for another 10-year term , or have a new sequential call assigned .

You can choose to get a new sequential call with any upgrade , by initialing the appropriate box on the form 605 , or you can request a new sequential call anytime using the ULS . Otherwise , you remain KM5ART .

4. N4AJZ

N4AJZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had this call for 32 years and opted to keep it after getting my Extra
    30 years ago. Although the phonetics for this call are not great for phone(because of the multiple vowel sounds in the suffix)
    and sometimes mis-interpreted on the receiving end of my calls on phone, most
    of my operating is on CW and it does have a nice "swing" to it and a rhythmic
    sound when transmitted with an iambic paddle.
    Just about all of the 1x2 and 2x1 calls in the "4" call area have long been
    gobbled up so.....................I'll just keep my old N4AJZ N(known)4 Always Jamming Zippers:D Besides it's a one and only original;)

N4AJZ

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  5. KB5IAV

KB5IAV Ham Member QRZ Page

I was assigned this call when I passed my Novice exam in December 1988. When I upgraded to General in May 1989, I kept it because I liked the call and had just gotten a bunch of QSL cards printed. I kept it when upgraded to Advanced in August 1990, and Extra in January 2003.

My call is actually pretty easy on CW, and I guess I've had it so long I don't want to give it up. I guess changing calls is a strictly personal thing.

6. AB2T

AB2T Ham Member QRZ Page

I was N2UQF from 1993 to 1995. I changed over to AB2T when the vanity program started in 1996. I have no regrets. I'm almost 100% CW, so speed and accuracy are important. The N call was too long. The 2 and the T conflict somewhat, but it's been very easy once I've gotten a doable fist down.

Above the 49th I'm VA2AIT. I'll be eligible for a Canadian vanity call in October 2011. Even though I have a 2x3 up north, I'm not changing. It doesn't take much effort and time to send that extra dah. Besides, I don't know how long I'll stay in Canada (still on student visa), so I'll save the vanity call for a Canadian citizen.

There are still some nice-sounding 1x3's out there. Don't buy into the "prestige call" bit. My lid fist betrays my ineptitude. Having a 2x1 doesn't make it any better ;)

73, Jordan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.