ad: chuckmartin

Call sign change for Extra Class

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KJ6HYC, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KJ6HYC

KJ6HYC Ham Member QRZ Page

My first post. I'm new to ham radio, (May 2010). I have the Extra Class ticket, I took all 3 tests within a week. I currently have a 2X1X3 call sign. I have noticed that on "RadioQTH" their are various "Vanity" 1X2, 2X1, 2X2, 1X3, 2X3, call signs. My questions is, what do these "say" or give you? Do they say to the community? That you are a extra class? Any thing else? Is the fee for the vanity a one time charge or a yearly charge?
    Thanks in advance for your help. :D

Wayne KJ6HYC

2. WB2B

WB2B Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd suggest going w/ a sequential assignment. I grabbed a 2x1 call. It happened to be from a well known ham, at least at the regional level. The other problem you may have w/ a reused call is that 'you' may already be in someone else's log. It can cause some confusion.

If I were to do it again, I'd go w/ a 2x1 or 1x2 sequential if any are available.

3. W5RB

W5RB Guest

The best single site for learning about callsigns , including vanities , is
    http://www.vanityhq.com . All the info is free there . Read the FAQ and the Tutorial first.

As an Extra , you could request a sequential 2x2 at no cost . A vanity call currently costs $13.30 for a 10-year term . 2x2s are only available to Advanced and Extra licensees , so there's some prestige involved . 2x1s and 1x2s , and certain 2x2s , are for Extras only .

People get vanity calls for many reasons , not all of them vain . Sometimes they replace a call that was hard to understand , or sometimes they are a way to honor a family member or friend . Don't rush . Take your time and learn more , then decide what you'd like to do .

Russ , W5RB

4. KJ6HYC

KJ6HYC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the replys, I'll be looking at the VanityHQ site. My current call sign isn't hard to live with and I'll be taking my time in any decision. Thanks to everyone for their input.

KJ6HYC - Wayne

5. KC5EAF

KC5EAF Ham Member QRZ Page

My two cents: I am about to pass the extra exam (being optimistic) and am looking forward to a new, shorter call for no other reason then to be able to send my call faster via CW. However, I have had my present 2X3 call so long it may be a little sad putting it away.

KC5EAF - Larry

6. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Usually, the shorter callsigns get through better.

My first call as a General Class was WB6RGR. When I upgraded to Extra, I requested a sequential call - and got N6FF (actually, at that time, you could ask for callsigns you liked, and FF was on the list I gave them). That is a great CW call, but it stinks on phone.

When I moved to the midwest, I got WF0H as a sequential call. I found that call threw too many people. I grew tired of having to repeat it to get people to understand that it was a 2X1 call. Some people just could not understand it at all. I wonder how many cards were sent to W0FH by mistake?

So, one day I saw that K0RGR was available, and I went for it.

Now, everybody thinks I'm a Technician and my call is KC0RGR.

You just can't win!

7. AC0TW

AC0TW Ham Member QRZ Page

I passed my Extra exam and wanted to shed my old 2 call since I moved to (and plan on staying in) Missouri. I passed the exam on 11/4, had my upgrade hit the ULS on 11/8, and put in for a sequential callsign change on 11/9. About an hour later my old call was canceled and my new one was issued.

I have to go with WB2B on this one... Vanity calls are nice, but if there isn't a call that you like available and you still want a shorter call, asking for the next available sequential call will get you a shorter call without having to pay for a vanity call that may not be exactly what you want.

8. N5SZJ

N5SZJ Guest

I'm sure there is some easy way to tell but I haven't been able to figure it out with some searching.

Where is the FCC at in the sequence of call signs for Extra Class in the 5 Region? I'm trying to figure out what type of call I might get if I go with a sequential assignment at renewel to retire my current tongue twister call. N5SZJ. Its not the best call to use for QRP work.

I dont want to get one worse.... :)

thanks for the comments!
    John N5SZJ

9. K5JY

K5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Latest Sequentials

Check out AE7Q's site -- scroll to the bottom of the linked page to "Latest sequential callsign assignments".

Not as easy to see, but N4MC's site also has it -- click the "New Hams" button on the top of the linked page, then use the "Sorted by Call Sign" column to find the 5-land Extra's.

10. W5RB

W5RB Guest

The AE7Q and VanityHQ sites are good , this one is handy for daily FCC reports in an easy format . Scroll to the bottom right for most recent issues , updated daily .

http://www.hamdata.com/fccinfo.html

Most recent issues in area 5 are KF5JJJ and AE5VP .
    The Extra pool in 5 moves slowly enough , you could almost pick your call by picking which day you renew . You have a 90-day window prior to expiration .

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.