California HF Emergency Frequencies

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE7CUP, Nov 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The first law of RRK : KAOS AND 2 ROCKIN RADIO KILOWATTS!

THAT'S why I never joined ARES. I don't believe in QRP, AND not having enough gear.

KA2RRK

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

If AR was really being used, I'm sure the a22l would have requested another FCC wavier for the Winstink comms.

3. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sometimes less is more...

4. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, not encrypted just that it can't be intercepted by outside parties. Before anyone gets cranked up by that statement be prepared to demo a live Winlink connect third party intercept with plain text decode.
    Even Winlink says it's not possible, link if you want it. There are comments still being accepted at the FCC on WT 16-239, way after the close, and it's directly related to this issue.

NL7W likes this.
  5. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Same with City of Milwaukee's proprietary Harris OpenSky 800 MHz radio network I manage. It isn't technically encrypted, but CANNOT be intercepted by scanners or outside parties either.
    So, it's only "quasi" encrypted... as no civilian organization or radio company, outside of Harris, has properly demodulated voice and data on our network. ;)

When I move my 17-site radio network's RF SubSystem (RFSS) to Project 25 in a few years, I'll have to encrypt to offer the same protections to the public safety agencies I serve.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  6. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

That is partly true of packet. It can't be directly read or copied , a TNC is required. However, the packet protocol is in the public domain, and TNC's are widely available, without proprietary hardware.

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

To the OP: HF isn't usually needed, even in the CA fires. MOST of the comms provided by amateurs will be relatively local, and can be handled by V/UHF radios, (don't forget simplex!) including (in most cases) monitoring of other services. The devastation by a hurricane, on the other hand, can be multi-state wide, where HF may be required.

KG7LEA likes this.
  8. VE7CUP

VE7CUP Subscriber QRZ Page

Boy, I am really sorry I asked the question, but for the few reasonable answers like yours, Thank You, and 73, Ric, VE7CUP

WZ7U likes this.
  9. N6MED

N6MED Ham Member QRZ Page

Hopefully not too late to respond in this thread.
    Noting a couple of commentors live in areas of relatively flat geography, there might be a lack of appreciation for what Red Cross relief efforts face: mountains. The western slopes of the Sierra, the coastal ranges, and the Trinity Alps offer poor to non-existent cell coverage on a good day much less on a bad day.
    Yes, the ARC does depend heavily on cell phone use. However, it's not unusual for the PSTN and cell networks to fail during wild land fire disasters. In north central CA, the ARC opens its shelters with ham operators in support at the onset. I was deployed more than once to shelters that had vety poor to no laths to cell sites due to fire damage or geography.
    I'd be happy to discuss directly if anyone has questions or comments. My email is in my qrz profile

10. N6MED

N6MED Ham Member QRZ Page

Larry, here in NorCal the ARC covers 24 counties. We do not have reliable VHF paths to cover the region for comms to the Disaster Ops Center in Sacramento. NE CA -- Modoc has none, Siskiyou, Shasta, Lassen all VERY problematic. Modoc depends on hf & Pactor. After a disaster "matures" (my descriptor), a District Op Center will probably be opened reatively local to the disaster, but backup comms still need to be maintained back to Sac.