California HF Emergency Frequencies

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VE7CUP, Nov 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. N6MED

N6MED Ham Member QRZ Page

So sorry. "COW" is a TLA (three letter acronym) for "Cell tower On Wheels" -- moniker used by the cell phone guys. "RSS" = Receive Signal Strength.
    Best regards!
    -- Jim

WA9SVD likes this.
  2. N6MED

N6MED Ham Member QRZ Page

Disaster location is of paramount importance re communications and the tools/resources to "git 'er dun." Hurricane Maria and Puerto Rico were HEAVILY dependent on amateur radio and DID use HF for part of it. There are many other parts of the country where it is depended on to augment disaster comms.

Here in northern Cal we have parts of the sate (e.g., NE corner, where, failing the PSTN and cell network (NOT an unlikely occurrence for a wild fire disaster) where HF will be the only path available as repeater networks in range to carry traffic out of the area are virtually non-existent.

Southern Baptist works locally in a disaster area. They are partnered with the Red Cross for mass feeding. Little need for medium or long haul comms.

Ya gotta think beyond your locale.

3. N8OHU

N8OHU Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, and you need to adapt when your normal means of emergency communication blows away...

4. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

You might have missed that my comment was tongue-in-cheek .

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Local disasters (such as a tornado) CAN take out cell service in an area; in most cases, V/UHF communications will be sufficient. For regional disasters (such as wildfires, earthquakes) HF may well be necessary, especially if repeaters are not available. 40 Meter NVIS antennas may fit the bill.

6. KG7LEA

KG7LEA Ham Member QRZ Page

I interviewed a couple of resident hams in Puerto Rico. Almost every ham HF antenna was destroyed leaving hams with HTs to go to municipal offices, fire stations, and police stations to set up comms. Out of several hundred repeaters, four survived the storm so traffic was simplex with relays. HF arrived with the "Force Of Fifty" (about 10 teams) on about Day 10 and SHARES teams on about Day 22.

7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for that information! If my hOUSE were destroyed, then yes, i might be without any kind of HF antenna....otherwise, I would simply put up another one. A long piece of two-wire lamp cord becomes both antenna AND transmission line in a pinch. (We do that as a demo to show how to tune a 2 meter antenna in license classes). While the Oaks near my house might take some damage, if the house is still standing, there are palm trees as well to utilize for supports. But I think Puerto Rico (with a much higher poverty rate) may have had fewer people with backup resources.

Gordon

8. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I live in a county with lots of terrain to block signals. Most of the population lives below 500 feet elevation, but we have many ridgetops of 1000-2500 feet separating the population centers. NVIS seems to be ideal for the times when the repeaters go out.

Our local RACES group does an HF net on three different bands every week, to try and communicate around the county without repeaters. Depending on the season, solar activity, and the gods of propagation, anything from 160m to 20m can be effective. 60m is probably most often useful, but there are certainly conditions when it doesn't work and a move to a higher or lower band is called for.

The group always does its test nets at 6pm local time. Disasters don't run on such a clock, so some further band switching would likely be needed at different hours of the day.

I guess my point is that, while 40m is a reasonable starting point for NVIS, some band agility may be needed to adapt to conditions. Don't restrict yourself to a single-band antenna.

KG7LEA likes this.
  9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. I would (do) have dipoles cut for 80, 40 & 20 in a bagged kit with lots of antenna hanging and connection paraphernalia for ease of deployment. As well as bits and pieces that could make an antenna for say 60 or 30 meters too. Plenty of antenna grade rope and feed line choices too. It all fits in a bag about 8"x12"x16"; I use it for deployments like 7QP and Field Day. Plus, it's in extra cool swag retired from a past professional endeavor.
    Antenna go bag.jpeg

KA0HCP and AG6QR like this.
  10. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

And yet they come to us to ask for help from time to time. I also find this interesting in such states as California which has (according to CHP) taken it upon themselves to issue tickets to amateurs for exercising their lawful privileges under CFR 47. So in ONE breath they're gonna issue us tickets for following US law, then come to ask us to assist during emergencies. Can you not smell the hypocrisy inherent in this? (Sniff, sniff---something's burnin'.) QUICK! Come over and help us!!!!!!!!! (Long pause) ……………..is ANYBODY THERE?

this ham ain't comin'!