ad: Schulman-1

California AB-1785 signed - Bans Ham Radio Usage in Vehicle

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6ZOO, Oct 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree its ambiguous language - what is the difference interpreting "activate ... a function" versus sending a message. It could be Morse, it could also be the definition of texting. However, I wouldn't want to defend against that in court.

Regarding headsets, yes some states restrict those too, but I think all allow at least a single earphone for "hands free" operations.

Perhaps the new Noise Frontier policy as defined by ARRL Top Brass now includes ham mobile operation falling under the definition and exemption of "emergency services professional"? Ever vigilant and on patrol defending the public's spectrum from unlawful invasive RFI! :confused:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  2. K5KNM

K5KNM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It says "specialized radio's ".

Doesn't sound like CB's to me.

Put a CB in your vehicle and if one of those Gestapo troopers pull you over, you can say Yes, I using a using a non-specialized radio at the time.

N4GST likes this.
  3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why, John, according to the ARRL--your organization and mine-- hams are PUBLIC SERVANTS...

;-)

N4GST likes this.
  4. AA5AZ

AA5AZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You people that just sit there with your mouth gaped open while Kalifornia shoves everything down your throats amazes me to no end.

KK4NA, WC5P and K3XR like this.
  5. WA0TDA

WA0TDA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Move to Minnesota - We can use our radios in the car, which you can do to pass the time when you are stuck in the ditch waiting for the hook to arrive during a blizzard. LOL

N7DMN and AA5AZ like this.
  6. N2IPH/SK2022

N2IPH/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't see where this bans the use of mobile radios in any way, unless California's definition of "specialized mobile radio device" or "electronic wireless communications device" includes mobile radios such as CB radios, Amateur Radios, or Land Mobile radios used by other than police or emergency services. I don't see where this bill calls out any of those services. I think you're all getting excited over nothing at this point UNLESS as I stated earlier the State defines Amateur Radio and similar equipment as falling within the definition of a "specialized mobile radio device" or "electronic wireless communications device".

7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the spirit. After all, it's a free country country where anyone can do whatever they want regardless of whoever it hurts.

8. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

When Ponch from CHiPs pulls us over we can just pull out the ham ticket and say "Hey, back off buddy, licensed by the FCC, incorporated into DHS, I'm just here to protect and serve too!"

Namaste! ;)

N4GST, N6EOH and W1YW like this.
  9. W8AAZ

W8AAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am pretty sure that the politicians, if they are aware of ham radio at all, consider it an irrelevant fringe minority group. However, unlike the other fringe minority groups that get their full attention at the first whimper.

KE0BFY, K8AI, N4GST and 1 other person like this.
  10. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

(f) For the purposes of this section, “electronic wireless communications device” includes, but is not limited to, a broadband personal communication device, a specialized mobile radio device, a handheld device or laptop computer with mobile data access, a pager, or a two-way messaging device.

Pretty broad and inclusive . A "specialized mobile radio device" is basically commercial LMR - easily the same as 2M/70cm repeater use minus the for profit part. Heck , a pager is included ! "Includes , but not limited to" is where the problem is.

There is no exclusion for amateur radio .

Steve
    KV6O

11. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Just who will see you keying CW with the key on the seat?

12. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Even though it states "Hand held electronic communication device", It appears to be directed more toward cell phones, texting etc.
    This needs to be clarified.
    It's already illegal but instead of enforcing existing laws, Gov. "Moonbeam" just keeps enacting more.
    In Kali-fornia any time our taxes increase and our freedoms decrease, there's a Democrat behind it.

N4GST likes this.
  13. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

WWTS
    What would Trump say?

14. K0CBA

K0CBA Ham Member QRZ Page

It is not referred to as "the Land of fruits and nuts" solely because of agriculture.

N4GST and K3XR like this.
  15. NE3K

NE3K Ham Member QRZ Page

It says in the provisions of the law that emergency services personnel operating in an authorized emergency vehicle are exempt.