ad: elecraft

Cable internet vs DSL

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by K4KYV, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using cable internet service for the last few years. I believe our nominal download speed is 5 mb/s, but most of the online connection speed meters I have tried read about 3.5 or so. The available options are 3, 5 or 10 mb/s.

The phone co. called my XYL to-day and gave her a sales pitch for DSL. The cost would be a little less than what we are now paying for cable, and the maximum nominal speed they offer is 6 mb/s, whereas the cable max is 10 mb/s.

I have been relatively satisfied with our cable service, even though like most cable companies, their tech support sucks, but we haven't had a lot of problems lately to cause us to need it.

When we first upgraded from dial-up, DSL wasn't available at this QTH and cable was the only alternative. The phone co. says that DSL now available, but their website indicates that they cannot guarantee a download speed until the installation techs come out and check the line, and capabilities may vary according to location.

My gut feeling is if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But just wonder if anyone else has had experience with both types of service, and any opinions about how one compares to the other?

One concern I have had about DSL is digital white noise trash causing radio interference, similar to the hash reportedly caused by Homeplug in-house BPL devices. However, my cable modem dumps spurs throughout the HF range, about every 30 kHz. It isn't really a nuisance on 160-75-40, but if I wanted to work the higher frequencies, I would probably shut off the modem before going on the air.

Our present cable service, and the DSL service the phone co. is offering are both in the $40/month range.

2. K9KJM

K9KJM Ham Member QRZ Page

Overall, Cable internet is faster than DSL (And more expensive)
    Cable is competing on speed, DSL is competing on low price.
    Notice that BOTH DSL and cable ads always say "UP TO"
    Whatever speed...............
    The actual DSL speed depends on just how far you are from the central office, Or a fiber node if your phone company is activating them.
    Around here, DSL is being advertised now for 14.95 per month (UP TO 1.5 Mbs)  for a six month period. After the 6 months are up it goes to 29.95 per month.

DSL does seem to be the better deal overall, If you are interested in price........

Many areas now offer wireless service, And all I have seen are somewhat more expensive than both cable and DSL, All other factors considered.  But a good deal if you cant get either cable or DSL.........  

The direct from the satellite service seems to be the one to really avoid unless it is about the only way you can get service.  HIGH price and other problems with it.

3. N2IZE

N2IZE Ham Member QRZ Page

I bypassed DSL and went straight to fiber here. I get 20 mbps down and 5 mbps up. However the speed test show 19-20 mbps down and 4 mbps up. Still not too bad.

If I had to chose between DSL and cable I'd probably go with DSL. But that's primarilly because I can;t stand the local cable company.

4. NZ2N

NZ2N Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup. I've had cable and DSL and cable wins by a mile.

5. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

We did the cost comparisons and have had both DSL and cable for years now; at first we were delighted with the speed cable had over DSL, but with the addition of new subscribers "on the line" we've noticed a marked decrease in cable speed.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for: if you're looking for a lot of high-broadband use (downloading/streaming video) go with cable; if not, go with DSL.

6. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

In Houston I do cable, it is faster than DSL by far.
    In San Antonio the "new" AT&T has cable beat.
    The u-verse service is the fastest thing out there, bar none.
    Even the "slow" DSL is on a par with the basic cable offering.
    But, the cable will improve at some point, that is a given.

7. N6HCM

N6HCM Ham Member QRZ Page

tease! that's not going to come here for quite some time. i'd buy it in a second.

instead i have dsl (a package that at&t/sbc/pac*bell/... doesn't offer anymore) with a pile of fixed IP addresses for a good price ... and since it ain't broke i'm not going to make a change anytime soon.

comcast (the local cableco) offers more bandwidth at a higher cost, and their business product is pretty solid. i'm not sure i'd buy their residential service, tho.

8. KG4CGC

KG4CGC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't like Charter Communications but I use their cable Internet connection. We don't have a choice of DSL.
    5mb/s.

9. N6YG

N6YG Ham Member QRZ Page

The main draw back to Cable is it's crackability, It's extremely insecure. Anyone with a little bit of networking knowledge can easily monitor your connection. They can capture all your banking info, passwords, they can read your email all using simple packet sniffing software.

Cable just makes it way to easy for someone located on your node to crack your system. Thankfully most computer users are windows users with very limited computer networking knowledge so it's not very common for a neighbor to be doing this. Unfortunately the hacker does not have to be a cable subscriber on you node. All he needs is access to your group. Hackers search out insecure wireless connection's in neighborhoods that have cable Internet. All they need to do is find an insecure wireless access point. Once they find an insecure wireless connection they have access to all the computers on that cable's group. The main problem with cable is your own security is to depended on all the subscribers in your group.

Now I know your saying I don't have anything on my computer worth stealing. Probably so, don't worry the hackers can care less about those nude pictures of your wife, they want your money and here's how they can get it.

Once they have access to the cable group they can spoof the system and force all your data to go through their computer. Say they have been monitoring your connection and know you bank with Bank of America. Most people are creatures of habit, so they watch you for a while and learn that every Friday you log into your bank account. Well come Friday they are parked down the street with a laptop setup as a web server. They have already setup DNS spoofing so when you try to log into your bank you actually connect to their laptop and their server sends you a page that looks just like your banks. AT that point you put in your account number and password. Once you enter your sensitive information you get a page that says "sorry the system won't be available for 24 hours due to maintenance" Or "we are upgrading our servers, our online systems will be down until Monday" Now the thieves have from 24 hours to 2 days to drain your account, But don't worry your account will have been drained within minutes and long before you ever log off.. It's a simple hack. I performed a demo of this exact scenario at a network security conference over 10 years ago. Funny thing is it's simpler to do today then it was back then.

By the way, when the authority's finally investigate, the trail will end with the computer that has the weak wireless security that allowed the hacker's access to the system. You better hope it's not your system with the weak wireless security. It won't mater if you are the perpetrator or not. All your computers will be confiscated and you will have a lot of explaining to do. As far as the investigators are concerned all the evidence points to the attack coming from within your system. And it did! It's going to be hard to explain why the overseas funds transfer originated with your IP.

Just food for thought.

10. W7XF

W7XF Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no choice.... at my location it is cable or no internet. Qworst has been promising that I will be able to get DSL at my house for 7 years so far..... but it's still not here...and Qworst has been paying for a lot of cable internet around here because of their false promises and false advertising. 2 months ago I finally told Qworst to go $#%& themselves and I got Vonage....now my phone is more reliable!!!!!

K7KWH

l

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.