C4FM Thing of the past or of the future?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N7BKV, Jun 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in SoCal, the big CRAZE is DMR. Folks are abandonning C4FM and DSTAR for DMR. I bought a DMR rig and quickly sold it. I hated the fact the radio is Completely BRICKED until you put a Code Plug in it. I sold it to buy a new Kenwood TM-D71A, good old fashioned FM. DMR and the rest rely on the Internet to work, while FM is just FM, like SSB is SSB! No internet required. I still have a DMR HT just in case I need it, but for Real Ham Radio I am on FT8 and FM

2. 2E0JTP

2E0JTP Ham Member QRZ Page

DMR is the cheapest option for getting into digital VHF/UHF radio, it's also not monopolised by one manufacturer. I think these two things appeal to a lot of hams.

The difficulty in programming code plugs is the major stumbling block of DMR. I know a lot of hams pretend this isn't a problem because they just use someone else's codeplug, but try programming your own codeplug from scratch and then compare it to the 'difficulty' of using D-Star or Fusion C4FM!

DMR/C4FM/D-STAR can and do make use of digital internet gateways, but the digital modes do not require it. You can use digital modes without connecting to the internet just as successfully as you would with good old FM. In fact, while analogue FM has the upper hand on all out range, digital will be clear audio all the way up to the point at which it drops out. With FM, you would have started to struggle to make out words at 70% of that digital range.

Digital is definitely an advancement on FM, we just have the 'privilege' of living through the transition period. I shouldn't imagine it will be too long before we see software defined radios that just include all the modes built in, Yaesu and Icom may not want it, but the Chinese are overtaking them whether they like it or not. We just need to live through the teething period.

KN4SKF and N7UJU like this.
  3. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is wrong, just as it has been since uniformed people (either accidentally or willfully) started spouting it as a reason to claim that digital voice modes 'are not ham radio.'

DMR DOES NOT REQUIRE THE INTERNET!!!

AI7PM and KV6O like this.
  4. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="WA6MHZ, post: 5299973, member: 139639".......... DMR and the rest rely on the Internet to work, while FM is just FM, like SSB is SSB! No internet required. I still have a DMR HT just in case I need it, but for Real Ham Radio I am on FT8 and FM[/QUOTE]

Someone steered you wrong, or, you failed in developing your understanding of DMR. The internet has no more to do with DMR than it does for FM, C4FM, P25, DSTAR, or any other RF. DMR is useable in simplex and through repeaters, same as the others. If one wants to link DMR repeaters, it can be done via microwave, fiber, or internet, SAME as the other modes.
    Similar to IRLP, DSTAR, or Wires-X, one MAY link DMR via an internet dongle. That being said the internet IS NOT necessary for DMR.

"Real Ham Radio" LMAO.

W6KCS likes this.
  5. VA7LBA

VA7LBA Ham Member QRZ Page

People have got to get over the idea that "digital"="internet". Digital means DIGITAL and the internet is just one way to help transport the signal. The internet can also be used to transmit analogue signals but you don't hear people getting their knickers in a bunch about that. Yes digital is an audio signal which has been encoded (not encrypted) and needs a similar system to decode it but for all you analogue thinkers, consider that one cannot hear an fm analogue signal using a tin can and a string.

AI7PM and W6KCS like this.
  6. N2RAC

N2RAC Ham Member QRZ Page

There is the md380-emu project on GitHub and which can be installed via apt. It essentially runs the dmr to c4fm to analog, etc bridges popular in the digital community. It's basically a software emulation that replaces amber, server-side.

Not sure about legal implications, although I have not yet read about any such issues.

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've always wondered about the md380 emulator's legality. As such, I have never used it and would not recommend it.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

AAAH, the "Mythbusters" method, I presume?:D