C4fm/Fusion via a DV4mini

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by MM0HRL, Jun 22, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. MM0HRL

MM0HRL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As per the title...

Been using this neat little dongle with my id51 for a while now on D-STAR, but found it tough to get going with DMR in the same way. Mostly I suspect because since I'm no longer young or even middle aged the little grey cells seem to get progressively more workshy with each passing year. So - thus far the tyt 390 hasn't been very useful. Through no fault of the rig, I hasten to add. I'm not just so sure about this dongle for DMR, which I tried on a RPi3 as well as my laptop, and unbeknown to me wound up locking up a reflector for part of an afternoon. (Which got some attention, understandably enough)

I'm so far not sure just how useful - or useless - these mini hotspots are with the Yaesu Fusion system, and as yet I haven't got a rig with that capability to try out. There's no repeaters in this area connected to the net, although a couple are Fusion units. Hence the question.

So - wondered if this is already a combo worth pursuing or maybe one to avoid.
    (The dongle is up to date with firmware and the control panel software seems to be latest release.)

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

The DV4Mini worked well in the past with the TYT MD-380/390, but unfortunately it has been abandoned by its developers and the software is now way out of date. So there may be some issues related to that.
    I've heard that there is third-party software for it that works better, I don't have a link but perhaps someone else can provide it.
    You might consider retiring the Mini and building, or buying a ready-to-go, Pi-Star setup. Pi-Star is a current, well-supported product with frequent updates and works well with all modes.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed, I'm enjoying both D-zast-Star and DMR on my pi-star set up. Not a hitch in running. The pi-star software is very well done, I'm impressed.

4. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

While I'll still recommend updating to a more current and supported hotspot, I wanted to come back and post a link where newer software for the DV4Mini is available in case you want to try it-
    http://www.xreflector.net/