C4FM - FT991a with MMDVM Using PiStar on R-Pi?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by G0KDT, May 26, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. G0KDT

G0KDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi this is a request so I can help another op.

Friend has the FT991a and we built two MMDVM hotspots ( Why 2, because I have D-Star - long story ), and both hotspots fire up and operate for D-Star or C4FM. Both hook up online and select either a refelector or C4FM room as they start up.

The problem we have is that although we have setup the FT991a for the 70cms frequency of the MMDVM and set no offset for Tx etc the FT991a will hear the hotspot but it will NOT connect to the hotspot when we use the 'X' button. If we use an FT3D that will connect and in doing so sometime triggers the FT991a to connect???

Does anybody else have similar problems with the FT991a hooking to hotspots?

I have tried (by remote access to friends hotspot) to adjust various pi-star timeouts etc. , restored and updated the hotspot firmware but pressing 'X' on the 991a just tried and drops.

I've burned out looking for solutions and friend is not into the tech so, this is becoming a bin the Ft991a level issue and buy something else if we can't find a way through.

73's
    Phil

2. K0VYD

K0VYD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would check your 991a's DG-ID setting in the menu settings. I think its menu line 153. I am not at my radio at the moment, but I believe the DG-ID # should be set to "0" (zero) when you have your frequency set to whatever 70cm freq you used when setting up the hotspot.

For use with one of my local groups repeaters for example, I have to have that set to "2" - but when at home with FT3DR i believe I have to set that back to "0" in order to use it with the hotspot.

It's been so long since you posted, I bet you have it all working by now. ;)

3. N3UPM

N3UPM Ham Member QRZ Page

WIRES DG-ID menu 153, "0" is not an option, either "AUTO" or 01-99.

Mine used to work, but my hotspot has been acting up on DMR too, so probably a setting somewhere I messed up.

4. G0KDT

Ah.... well as the radio is not mine checking FT991a settings is not easy remotely.

That said I asked Nigel and he says the FT991A is set to Auto on the menu setting 153. Without me downloading and going back to front with the FT991a manual I have no idea what that setting does, or if it is controlling offsets or timeouts etc. suffice to say we couldn't get the 991a to connect using the X button with a memory setup for 438.800 and offset set to zero for tx/rx on the radio. The pi-star setting is for zero offset too as we checked that too.

Certainly I used to buy Yaesu kit years ago, but my experiences with the 991 trying to use it pre-lockdown and with this have finished any thoughts of buying their kit again. They simply don't seem to care about quality control or customer care when they still haven't fixed the firmware to display which VFO is in use, so what chance have you got with things like this. It's just careless and that doesn't warrant me spending my money on that sort of service.

Thanks for trying to help at least.
    73's
    Phil

5. N3UPM

N3UPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine won't connect by the Wires-X button, but if I connect to a room from the Pi-Star, it works. I know I saw a YT video where someone set it all up, going to try to find it again. I know mine works fine on Fusion repeaters, have tried it on two and it works perfectly. Honestly, the fact that it works at all with the hotspot is just an extra perk for me, if I want to use DMR I have radios for that. I'm really glad I got the 991A, very impressed with the noise reduction on noisy HF bands.

K0VYD likes this.
  6. G0KDT

Thanks for the head up Kevin on your findings.

The FT991a isn't mine it, I have found quite a few posts across forums where folk say that they have problems with Yaesu kit on hotspots.
    They seem to be really finicky on what they work with and how they operate.

Like the old Honda (looks like a CB72) but the pic is a bit small for my old eyes and of course you are stood in front of the enduro bike.
    My days of dirt bikes are sadly done, absolute blast with a selection of Ossa, Yamaha, Honda, Maico, KTM even an AJS Stormer dirt bikes. I can still ride but a road bike accident 4 years ago after 40 years riding has pretty much destroyed my right hand for riding the rough stuff, and a broken back says no head down a**e up bikes these days either. hey ho!

73's
    Phil

7. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not an FT991 user, but I have an MMDVM and ran into issues using the wires x button to connect and control it from my FT70. I found I had to tweak calibration on the MMDVM.

My son also has one, and it seems the MMDVM is really picky -- I can find a setting that works with one HT but not the other.

I ended up not using the same procedures I found online. Instead of checking BER at different settings with the calibration program, I used an RTLSDR. I used the SDR to find where my carrier peak was for my HT and then used the MMDVM calibration program to adjust until that device hit exactly the same spot on the SDR waterfall.

Once I had it set like that, my wires x button works every time now.

Not sure if that's the same as what you're seeing, but it's my story at least. It might also be worth noting that I could use it and participate in YSF rooms even when I couldn't get the wires x button to work. I think it's just a very picky system.

K0VYD likes this.
  8. G0KDT

Thanks for the ideas.

When we've tried tx after the now sold ft3d had connected and we'd got the ft991a going that way we didn't see any BER readings of note only what the dashboard reported for others that we could hear. So I'm not sure.

In the current status I can't visit Nigel and try things direct due to Covid. I think we're reaching the end of the road with Yaesu and it'll be condemed as bin fodder never to be repeated again though.

9. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

The criticism should probably be levied on the MMDVM, not on Yaesu, necessarily.

10. G0KDT

No there are other faults with the ft991a that they still haven't fixed in the firmware for more than 2 years.