c w id idea ???

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD4AMG, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AC3P

AC3P Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know. I think I'm IDing as @3p now.

2. W7DJM

W7DJM Banned QRZ Page

A little off this subject, but I once heard a ham joking (and he WAS joking) to another that "He was sometimes known to use the very helpful phonetics 'know no 1 one.' " (KN1O) (or was in NK1O?)

3. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ke4mej @ June 03 2004,18:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">While i'll agree that spelling out the numeral in the call on CW (besides being pointless, in most cases) would probably not be strictly legal, i'll have to take issue with the statement that using phonetics on voice would not be a legal ID...

97.119(b)(2)
    &quot;By a phone emission in the English language. Use of a standard phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct station
    identification is encouraged;&quot;

Chuck[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    &quot;as an aid&quot;

Not &quot;in lieu of assigned call sign&quot;

Ed

4. W5HTW

W5HTW Ham Member QRZ Page

But, yeah, it's changing -- More!

I think I'll continue to use the call sign shown on my license. When they show something else I'll use it.

For one thing, having been in broadcast radio, I recall the true definition of &quot;legal ID.&quot; Ah, but that was eons ago, back before Gore invented the internet and everyone invented their own call signs. Maybe BC stations don't have to legally ID, either - I haven't paid much attention lately.

However, don't let that mislead you folks into thinking I would not use phonetics! I definitely would, and do (when necessary) to clarify a call sign, name, location, etc. Not a problem. Just I don't use them &quot;in lieu of&quot; the real thing. I do not say I live in Echo Sierra Tango Alfa November Charlie India Alfa, Nancy Echo Whiskey Metro Echo Xray India Charlie Oscar. (Did I get that right?!) But I can, if someone needs me to spell it phonetically. Likewise I CAN use phonetics IF someone didn't get my call sign. I try the call sign first, the one shown on my license. If they got it, they don't need me saying it phonetically. And IF they got it, they SURE don't need me spelling it phonetically every time we ID. I think that satisfies the need to &quot;aid in understanding&quot; the call.

Certainly appears the FCC rule can be interpreted to mean phonetics are a substitute for the call sign. I interpret it to mean phonetics can be used &quot;as an aid&quot; in helping to understand the call sign. But if the aid isn't necessary, I don't bother. Lots of times it is necessary, and I do bother. (Though actually I work mostly on CW, I do get on phone, on some nets, and, yes, from time to time I have to use phonetics to clarify my call sign. When requested to do so.)

As to cutsie phonetics, they work OK on two meters, though I hate hearing them on every exchange. Once you have used them &quot;to aid in understanding&quot; do they need to be used at every exchange? But when I am talking to a English-challenged Lithuanian, and I say (for my call) Wildy Five Hotsie Trotting Women, I may be defeating the purpose of phonetics and being cute only to myself.

Nah, I think I'll stick to my call sign! But you are welcome, apparently, to use what you wish, how you wish, when you wish. Was that another step in deregulation of amateur radio? Come to think of it, I probably should listen to a local BC station and see if 'they' have to give a legal ID. Maybe not; times have changed there, too.

My last take on the subject. You do it your way, I'll do it mine. Looks like they both satisfy at least the spirit of the rules. But I just checked my license. No phonetics shown.

Enjoy!

Ed

5. NZ3M

NZ3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

HTW, you have one of those calls that does not need phonetics. Only the &quot;T&quot; might be mistaken for something else, but following the &quot;H&quot; makes it pretty clear.

The &quot;Bs&quot; in my call are often mistaken for &quot;D&quot;. This happens alot in CW too, since there is only a dit of difference.

I like to use the standard phonetics when I use phone, although I have been called &quot;Burger King&quot; a few times. [​IMG]

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.