ad: GNOHF-1

C is for Consenting Adults

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KL7AJ, Feb 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't start playing with computers until I was in my forties. If I'd started back when I was getting into radio, I'd be a lot faster programmer now, but I've made up for some lost time. (Actually, I don't know if that was really feasible; I knew precisely one person in high school who'd ever worked with a computer.....a mainframe at USC, I believe....that he got to borrow as an advanced sorta student).

Anyway.....working at HIPAS under the auspices of the UCLA plasma lab, I got fairly proficient at C programming, as well as MATLAB. C seems to be at the root of so many modern languages, and there's very little you can't do with it. Not that it's CONVENIENT, but it's usually doable. Actually, it forces you to be a lean and mean programmer...unlike Java and who knows what else. Visual Basic started out ok but has become a bloated abomination.

There are a lot of other interesting languages out there.....I've become somewhat "re-enamored" with LISP. But I also know that life's too short to try to get really proficient at a bunch of different languages, so C has become my default...it's sort of like the CW of the cyber universe.

N6QIC likes this.
  2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I still have a legit copy of Microsoft Cobol on 5 1/4" floppies.

3. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm still working on BASIC.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

K9ASE likes this.
  4. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Shoot, I still use batch files. Edlin don't you know?

N6QIC likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

knew C fairly well "back in the day", enough to write and/or debug device drivers on several flavors of *nix,
    soft realtime programming.

I've grown very lazy and don't program nowadays.

They say it's like riding a bicycle, but I dunno... I've got a very small FIFO for a brain :D

6. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Wife took Fortran & Cobal as required courses.
    She hated them both...

N6QIC likes this.
  7. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to do some programming in C. Now if I can't do it in Python, it doesn't get done :)

K6CLS likes this.
  8. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wrote a ton of C back in the day... kind of lost interest when everyone went over to C++.

9. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Be like me. Have someone else write the C++ framework and then fill in the meat with regular C.

10. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Be like me, hire someone else to do the code ;)

KJ4VTH likes this.