Buyer wants full "partial" refund and...

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KL5A, Jan 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

Another possibility when receiving PayPal payment is to send an invoice for the item describing in full the terms and conditions of what has been agreed by the two parties.

KB8ABJ, KL5A and AC0OB like this.
  2. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I think COD is pretty much dead these days, it might be possible but nobody ever uses it. The delivery guys aren't really set up to take the funds, it's a security risk for them.

3. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

This might be the way to go in the future. If the buyer agrees to an item "as is" I think it would be harder to dispute it later.

4. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

COD may still be out there but things have substantially changed.

Drivers do not accept cash; they accept checks or money orders and then pass the item on to the seller.

NO DELIVERY SERVICE IS DUMB ENOUGH TO GUARANTEE YOUR BUYER'S PAYMENT.

In the late 90's I sold some gear COD to a ham in Puerto Rico. UPS sent me his check and I deposited it. IT BOUNCED and I got dinged a "RETURN ITEM FEE".

So much for COD!

5. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

Your job? Heavens no. It's apparent that we need someone else for that.

What's wrong with postal money orders? Plenty. The biggest problem is that sending one is equivalent to cash. There is absolutely no recourse, no tracking, no possible way in hell that you'll ever get your money back if something goes wrong. It's a black hole. Think you'll call the postal inspector and report mail fraud? Good luck with that. They'll take your report, sure, but don't count on ever seeing your money back, not ever.

The Paypal bank account trick does sound novel. I hadn't heard of that one before. I think that it deserves an ethical review at least because on its face, it sounds deceptive or at least something that offers a high potential for abuse as much as it does the protection you seek.

Finally, I just don't get the level of paranoia here. There are hundreds of transactions in play every day on QRZ and only a tiny fraction of them ever have problems. I've bought and sold on this site many times myself and I can honestly say that I've never had a problem. Of course, I don't buy things that look "too good to be true", and I don't expect things to arrive in factory new condition. As an observer, I can say categorically that most problems are caused by poor communication between the parties. Another is peoples tendency to assume malice when the real culprit is incompetence. If a guy promises to ship something in two days and he takes a week, some people will immediately yell FRAUD at the top of their voices and seek to have the payments reversed, etc. It's just way overboard, way over blown, and way too emotional. A whole lot of hand wringing, I'd say.

KN7S likes this.
  6. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

So the TS 50 comes back, the case is different, the encoder is busted and the serial number has been peeled off and somewhat reattached.....I file an appeal with paypal and they seriously want me to file a police report.
    A police report?
    They didn't need a police report when they refunded the buyer, did they?
    Apparently I could instead file an afadavit and have it notarized, another not gonna happen.
    This is the first time in hundreds of transactions on ebay and other places that this has ever happened and my it has been an eye opener. Never expected it to happen here.

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

KL5A,
    Yep, it does happen here. It's probably a bit idealistic to think that hams are a special breed of people, i.e. there are as many bad ones as one might expect in the general population. Its easier to understand PayPal if you put your business hat on and consider all the ramifications of each way of settling disputes, and how your decisions affect your own business. There are no easy answers for PayPal, or any other payment processing service for that matter.

People who treated you the way your customer did should be banished from the hobby, publicly humiliated, and made to atone for their sins. Don't get too hopeful, however.

AF7XT and N3AB like this.
  8. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG][​IMG]

Why is keeping my own money deceptive? If I sell something used, as is, and take a PayPal payment and leave the funds in the hands of PayPal, up to six months after the sale the buyer can complain to PayPal and PayPal will put a lock on the funds in the seller's account. Do you think that is fair and right? I sure don't.

I am like Dave, UUU. I think about me, me, me. I have a PayPal account and use it on occasion for paying. I either won't accept PayPal for payment, or if I trust the payer, will take it and turn it to cash ASAP, before releasing the item. If people don't like it, too bad.

I am not a business, I seldom sell anything, and I can't afford to take any type of financial hit right now so I must be vigilant. You can perceive that as paranoid if you like.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  9. NX6ED

NX6ED Ham Member QRZ Page

Get a "square" credit card reader. It is free and you can manually process credit cards by just entering in all the info without actually swiping the card. Just pay the processing fee...

10. K4ATR

K4ATR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a paypal debit card I use atm and get cash as soon as I receive it