Buyer wants full "partial" refund and...

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KL5A, Jan 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
  1. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

The money was in my PayPal account and PayPal put a hold on it, it's already been deducted from my balance and at the end of the process goes back to the weasel. Having seen this happen I now transfer money out as soon as it comes in. I'm thinking I might see about linking it to a prepaid card to control the flow. Or use a dormant bank account, I have one handy.

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's too bad you had to learn the hard way that money in a PayPal account is theirs, not yours. It's not your money until it's in your possession. PayPal must have some fantastic lawyers to get away with what they do. I am pretty sure they earn millions of dollars of interest on the money that is in their possession while disputes are being dealt with.

3. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

I'd have to say that's a pretty jaded view. PayPal provides a service for money, and if you were in their showe I guarantee that your policies would be scarcely different. Earning millions on the "float" is, if anything, incidental. When you're dealing in billions, even tiny percentages can look like a lot of money.

Its hard to imagine how difficult it is to remotely adjudicate disputes between a pair of grumpy old men. From the start, you must not assume that either one of them is telling the truth. Seriously, it's rediculuoulsy difficult. To their credit, they have processes that, over the course of millions of transactions, have proven themselves to be useful to this end. They aren't holding the money for greed but rather waiting for the facts to play out and hopefully lead to a logical conclusion. Then, after hearing from both parties and looking at the evidence presented, can they safely decide who wins. Even then, PayPal may occasionally pick the wrong winner. That's life.

I challenge you or anyone to come up with a better solution. Postal money orders maybe? Yeah, sure.

WB9YTG likes this.
  4. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

federal reserve notes at ZERO paces, and even then have your tester pen and the black light

KE6P, K8MHZ and KF5RRF like this.
  5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

They're electronic today . . . better to use a scope and a DMM o_O

WB7OXP likes this.
  6. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what the process is to initiate a dispute but the process to contest it is not so simple. Simple enough to tick the box and not contest it but who is dumb enough for that?
    You have to dig deep into the resolution center to find the place where you actually get to state your case and when you do, you need to fight it hard and fast because there is no back and forth. Any attempt at emailing a human being is met with a link to the resolution center where you try again and end up in the resolution center....there isn't any effort put into mediation or finding an equitable solution.
    In my world, I think I am going to link a Bluebird account to paypal to insulate me and grab the cash as soon as it comes in.

N3AB likes this.
  7. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all, why is it my job to come up with a better solution?

What's wrong with postal money orders?

I posted my solution earlier. On the rare occasion I use PayPal for receiving payment, I shuttle the payment into an account that I keep at a near zero balance. As soon as the money makes it to that account, I pull it out in cash, leaving a near zero balance, so PayPal has nothing to take from me. Those are my rules of using PayPal and if they don't like it, I won't use them at all. There is little in this world I need bad enough to be forced to use PayPal.

I am pretty sure that PayPal would kick me out of their service if they went after my money over a dispute and found it gone. Oh well. I am also pretty sure if PayPal kept money that was mine over a dispute I wouldn't use them again, anyway. At least my solution keeps my money in my hands.

KI7VFW, KL5A and N3AB like this.
  8. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

It's all risk in one way or another.

At least PayPal has a dispute resolution process that may or may not work in your favor.

What does the alternatives offer?

KA9MOT likes this.
  9. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

And one other thing:

Do not negotiate or conduct business over the phone.

Do everything by email where you can Document the exchange and show PayPal or whomever the exchange.

Phone conversations result in to much: "He said...She said."

Email can also show where the other party cut off the exchange, making the other party suspect.

Phil

10. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

What happened to the days of ordering things from an ad or magazine and have it sent to you COD. When I was a young ham I do remember ordering a lot of items COD. I did not have the internet to track the order to know when it would arrive. I would just excitedly watch everyday for the item to arrive and then pay for it when it was in my hand.
    Does anyone sell anything COD anymore or is that all history?

John, WB0MPB