ad: portazero-1

Buyer wants full "partial" refund and...

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by KL5A, Jan 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

wants to keep the item too.
    If it's no good to you and you want your money back, why would you want to keep it? Am I supposed to feed your business free radios AND pay for shipping it to you? It's a great business plan if you can get the suckers to go along with it.

I've never played along with the negotiation after the fact game. If you are desperately unhappy with the item then surely you don't want to keep it, might as well send it back for a full refund.....if it wasn't worth the original price then the time for negotiation was before the transaction not afterwards.

We shall see how Paypal handles it, not sure that I'm willing to dump them over 1 unjust transaction.

KB4QAA, AJ4GQ, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  2. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator QRZ Page

The best bet with PayPal is to be able to show your shipping/postage invoice with a delivery address, and hopefully, a signature. The thing that PayPal looks for is proof of shipment. They can still be a pain but the proof of shipment thing is critical with them.

Also, it kind of depends on what you said in your ad as to whether you should offer partial money back. In general, it's a NO.

3. AF7ON

AF7ON Ham Member QRZ Page

I sold one item on eBay recently and the buyer complained about one issue that I had not completely described in my listing. It wasn't an unreasonable complaint as I had overlooked the minor issue, so we negotiated a partial refund that was pretty much equivalent to the shipping cost. Both of us were happy with the outcome. In your case, if the requested refund is substantially more than the shipping cost and the request is unreasonable, then returning it might be the best option.

4. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

In my case, the "partial" refund was actually the whole $225 for the radio, not sure how that is "partial" but that was the request.

Interestingly, it took 4 attempts to respond over 3 days to actually file a response. I'd send it off and not see any acknowledgement.

This was advertised as parts or repair, and I sent Paypal the link to the original listing. That's a good reason not to erase QRZ hamfest listings when items are sold, it's a good backup.

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

"This one is going out the door as is where is for parts or repair, about all i guarantee is that you will get a box with a Kenwood TS50 , power cord and microphone in it." Your QRZ ad made it very clear. Please help us avoid this problem buyer by identifying him. Tried to email you as I used to live in Birchwood but the gmx account doesn't seem to be working.

6. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure but if the group at large thinks I should I will. Paypal ruled against me so I told the weasel to send it back, and he provided an invalid UPS tracking number so I wonder if he does actually intend to send it back after all. Paypal has been informed and let me tell you, trying to get hold of an email or any contact for customer service outside of the normal links is frustrating, they are not set up for much else than taking money.
    So there you go, even explicit admonitions about "parts or repair" aren't enough with paypal. Might be time to investigate other mediums of exchange.

7. WB7OXP

WB7OXP Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

wow

that chunks, there is hardly any way you could have made it plainer that the radio existed and guaranteed nothing at all

boo to the "buyer" he is basically a scammer

and sorry to hear that even after you made it so plain in your ad that paypal did not "rule" for you

N4FZ likes this.
  8. KD5ZEN

KD5ZEN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm curious why PayPal would rule against you, especially f you are showing that you have tried to make contact and the buyer is not willing to mediate the matter with you. He should still be required to return the item in like condition before getting a refund. I wonder if he needed only a specific part out of this and is pulling a swap on you.

N4FZ likes this.
  9. KL5A

KL5A Ham Member QRZ Page

The buyer basically wanted to keep the item and be refunded the full amount. And the name of his business is "ham radio parts" so I suspected the same thing, I do have photos I took of the unit, I have them showing power output on every band and some of the insides and outsides, so if it has been swapped or gutted I will know it and if that happens you can bet I will be outing him and continuing the dialog with paypal.
    Anyways, in the future W7UUU's idea may be the way to go. It will slow things down but that is the way we used to do it with checks or MO's, and somehow we were able to swap and shop just fine.

N4FZ and W7UUU like this.
  10. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I will not sell anything to another ham! Too many bad apples in our hobby.

Frank