Buyer has radio for month, now wants money back?

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N7PHX, Nov 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N7PHX

N7PHX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Call me cynical, but I'm worried that I have either been scammed or taken for a chump. With people taking parts from radios and returning them so often these days, its hard to tell who's genuine and who's not.

On October 13th I posted an add on QRZ selling my beautiful Omni VI Factory option 3 radio for a very nice price of $625.00. By that evening, K**** had replied that we wanted the radio. He messaged me via private chat on here, and asked what filters were included and if I would include the mic. I replied that the mic would not be included and that one of the filters was upgraded. He promptly paid the $625 via paypal.

The next morning I had USPS ship the radio to him. The shipping and packing cost me nearly $60.00, but i figured that was my mistake for not including the shipping in the price, so I ate that one... lesson learned. A few days later, he sends me a private message saying "receives good but can't transmit yet because i'm still looking for a mic". I sent him a link to compatible Ten-Tec mics and never heard back...until today... a month later.

I get a notice from Paypal saying he has filed a claim against me for the full amount because the radio doesn't work right. A MONTH LATER! Why am I just now hearing from him about this? He did send me a message yesterday asking about an issue hes having with the RF Gain knob. I responded that I have no idea...the radio worked like a charm when I used it. Again, why has he waited a month to tell me the radio is not working?

Had he sent me a message within a week of receiving the radio, I would have been compelled to have him return the radio and cut my losses, but In my humble opinion, a month later is absurd. The fact that a few days after he had the radio he said the radio "receives good" proves to me there wasn't an issue with it until now. I have absolutely no way of knowing whether or not he has damaged the radio over the past month, tried using a poor cb mic or worse...removed parts.

Now I'm out a darn good radio (yes, he still has it) AND $700 (Paypal already took the funds)! Not sure how to proceed.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
  2. KO6WB

KO6WB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In some ways the seller needs to beware, not just the buyer.
    One of the things you could have done , since the Omni VI worked satisfactorily, was to put anti-tamper seals on the case. Include the statement that if these seals were broken, then no returns accepted.
    It seems like you've sold to a noobie. Under those circumstances just about anything can happen. That person may have tried to cheap out on the microphone and use something that was available in the junk box. Things like this happen all the time. The new owner could have applied power to it and transmitted with no antenna. Usually the protection circuits will save the unit. How about reverse polarity?
    So, you see, there are some ways to mess up and without qualifications for the sale, then you are the target of a well intentioned buyer that just wasn't ready.

Hope this gets resolved in a positive manner for you. One can only hope.

Hope this helps
    Gary

3. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like a scam to me seeing how he kept the rig and refund. He should have returned the Omni. I think you should out him and post his full callsign.

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Very sorry to hear this, Chad.

This is a serious problem with accepting PayPal payments. It seems even if you do include "no returns" terms, PayPal will take the funds anyway.

In my opinion this is criminal; you have not authorised PayPal to take $700 from your bank account (I presume that's what they did). Maybe you did by agreeing to their terms which include this in fine print, I don't know. If so, it's still not right.

I wish our representatives would take up this issue instead of the nonsense they seem to be concerning themselves with.

If I were you I would find a lawyer.

Matt

5. N8RLG

N8RLG Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a similar instance with a stroke down in Texas. Sold him my FT-897D and a month later wanted his money back. Long and short, Ebay/PayPal sent him is money and the c**ks***er never sent the radio back. So now I'm out money and a radio.....

N7PHX likes this.
  6. KO0N

KO0N Ham Member QRZ Page

You have my condolences; been there-done-that. PayPal is not your friend, demand (to PayPal) that he return the item.

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/ebay-heathkit.322473/

Hopefully you insured it with the USPS when you shipped it, trying contacting the Postal Inspectors office, maybe it was "damaged in shipping".

I will give a piece of equipment away before I sell it via PayPal-eBay however, I love PayPal as a buyer, I alway use my credit card, not my bank account to pay for things; a "charge back" is a terrible thing to lose and PayPal knows this.

If I cannot make eye contact with whosoever is purchasing what i am selling, the deals off.

N1AMF, KE4HTS and N7PHX like this.
  7. N7PHX

He's willing to return the radio... but if he broke it, what good is it to me? He gets his $625 back, I pay $60 for him to ship it back, and in return a get an expensive door stop. Ten-Tec told him it would be cost prohibitive to repair. I dont want the radio back. I want the money back that paypal took from my account yesterday. Because they are holding the funds, my paypal account is negative... meaning any and all paypal payment I get from other things will now be applied towards that negative balance. The whole thing stinks. I'll never use Paypal again, thats for sure!

8. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, that is sour grapes. PayPal has saved my bacon from unscrupulous sellers 2 or 3 times. Why not wait until the radio gets back to inspect it? If you see anomalies report it back to PayPal. I truly believe that they are there to serve both buyers and sellers. I hope you have an e-mail chain to show them?
    Personally, I will not purchase anything over $100 unless PayPal is the method of payment. That's just me and probably many others.

9. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't pay for him to return it. No way. If he refuses to return it on his dime, then you have a very legitimate beef with PayPal, in my opinion.

I'm glad to hear that PayPal didn't just grab the money out of your checking account. Having an negative balance with PayPal indefinitely would be the end of the world if you don't plan to ever use PayPal again.

But I wouldn't call it quits just yet. If he will pay to return the radio, I would check it out and be in contact with PayPal from there. Who knows, they may side with you. And, per my previous paragraph, you may have nothing to lose.

10. N7PHX

Wait until it gets back to me and inspect it? Once I get the radio back, paypal closes the case....that finalizes the dispute. He's admitting to me that the transmit isn't working after he tried his own modified mic. 2 days after he purchased the radio, he purchased upgrade filters for it as well from a used sale on QRZ. Why on earth would I be "fine and dandy" with him returning the radio he has tinkered with for a month AND taking my $700? That makes absolutely no sense. The radio worked 100% the day I sent it to him. You're missing the principle of the matter.

KE4RWS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.