BUYER BEWARE

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W2JLD, Oct 5, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
  1. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Let me start out by saying if you get an email from a person offering to sell you a piece of equipment and you didn't contact them directly then assume its a scam.

today i got an email from AC0OF who's email is
    ac0of.p@gmail.com

rest assured this is a fake email address, search qrz and this person doesn't have an email address on their qrz page, plus the email address has a character to added to it. contacted this person and told me to send the money order to his handicapped sister at the following address, please be very caref ul when buying from qrz people.

here is the address of his sister

Name: JULIA MARIE DOGGETT
    ADDRESS: 249, COUNTRY OAK CIRCLE LUCEDALE, MISSISSIPPI.
    ZIP CODE: 39452
    [​IMG]
    i looked up the address on google and it is nothing but a country road.

here is a list of things to do when buying from qrz.

1. make sure the person you are buying from has a legit address
    2. make sure they have a valid email address
    3. make sure that they have a phone to contact them
    4. make sure that you have contact with this person and ask personal questions, your spending your money. dont be SCAMMED on QRZ
    5. MAKE SURE THEY CALL SIGN IS NOT SUPER IMPOSED ON THE AD.

BE VERY CAREFUL, I ALMOST LOST 500$

N4FLF likes this.
  2. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. W2JLD

I SAW THE SAME THING BUT BELIEVE ME ITS A FAKE AD!!!!

THIS IS NOT THE FIRST TIME THIS PERSON TRIED TO SCAM SOMEONE, SO JUST BE CAREFUL

4. W2JKT

W2JKT Ham Member QRZ Page

The crooks were pretty smart. They picked an address that would be difficult to find in property records. It's very close to a county line, with a mailing address serviced by a distance post office. There is a 241 and a 247 Old Country Road in Jackson County MS, but no 249. No "old country road" in the neighboring county to the North. I would try to determine if someone has a forwarding order for that address with the post office.

It's also possible that 249 was issued by the post office there for a secondary property on the 247 parcel.

In any case, I'm glad you didn't get taken.

5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

W7UUU likes this.
  6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I object to these types of warnings.

My opinion is that if anyone is naive enough (read -dumb enough) to be taken in by this type of scam, nothing anyone does will stop them.

K3BR likes this.
  7. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Then why did you respond to the post? There are plenty of other forums you might not find objectionable.

8. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Anytime you are asked to send the payment to someone other than the seller, I'd run away as fast as possible, as it is almost ALWAYS a scam. At least if you use Pay-Pal, there is some recourse. If he wants either a check or money order sent to someone else, that sets off the warning bells immediately.

9. W2JLD

why did you respond if you object to this.........

try to keep ham radio operators informed about this.

10. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

The easiest thing to do is look up a ham's call in the FCC's database and send your money as a USPS money order or registered mail to their listed QTH. USPS requires ID to cash a money order or receive a piece of registered mail. Then if you get scammed, it's been by an honest to goodness fellow ham and not some mental patient who has been tricked into a "work at home" scam. Based on QRZ reports, we can count the number of licensed scammers on one hand.

If I can't trust a guy enough that I want paypal I can do a charge back, I'm not buying his radio geegaw in the first place. I don't need the stress or the headache.

Look up a call here: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchLicense.jsp
    Most old calls are listed too.

Have fun!

-Bob